New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fluval Edge Reef

Started by Stussi613, April 09, 2011, 01:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stussi613

So I'm seriously thinking of building out my Fluval Edge as a pico reef instead of a planted shrimp tank...but I was hoping for some advice from you salty's. I've been reading up on people's experience building out reef systems online and came across a build that looks truly amazing. The guy who built it clearly has allot of experience, which I do not, but it looks like he used the stock tank with a Nova Extreme light and very few other mods.

In your opinion(s) how hard would it be to achieve this type of tank?  Is it too much for a beginner to try?  I know most people would advise a FOWLR tank for this aquarium, and a newb, but I'm game to try it out...but don't want to kill a couple of fish and inverts in the process.

Here's a link to the post...

http://www.cvreefers.org/showthread.php?13691-Fluval-Edge-Nano-Reef
I haz reef tanks.

Yams

Well... I think if you have managed to keep discuss successfully you are an experienced in Freshwater...and, as we all know the smaller the tank, the faster everything can go bad. 6 Gal Approx, 80-90% bi-weekly water changes, just needs alot of attention I would think, from everything I read. If you have the time / dedication and attention to detail you can do it I am sure, but maybe not the best way to start reefing.

Just my thoughts...from another Freshy! ???

Darth

I personally kept a 5 gal nano for almost a year before shutting down, you would def need better lights then the stock lights and some kind of flow, you can keep hardy corals the first shots he had he admited those corals were only in the tank for about 2 hours. For a tank that small you would be limited to what you keep, and things can go wrong fast, but I did 75% water changes on it and only kept hardy corals. It can be done though, just less room for error

DonaldMcL

Anything is possible, it just depends on how much effort you're willing to put into it. I read a forum post where someone had drilled their fluval edge (but maintained the look of it) and added a sump. Very good option indeed.

If I come across it again, i'll post the url here.

Cbellehumeur

If you have right lights i think it's possible and if you're willing to keep up a maintaince for a little tank (wc) i think it could be done. The only thing you need it lots and lots of money for allllll the corals!  :)

TLe041

As someone who previously owned a planted Fluval Edge (it's now sold), the biggest problem you'll face is getting adequate light to the tank.

If you're handy, you can probably rig something like this up and save some money: http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?cPath=73&products_id=746
Tony

NanoSF

A DIY Led set up for lighting will probably be your best bet, but no matter what it will be limited in power. There is also very little water surface area which may present problems. Hard to keep cool, and little area for gas exchange. If you keep it basic, I'm sure you can come up with something beautiful and easy to keep though. It is certainly a sexy little tank.

White Lightning

Hey Stewart,

The tank in the thread looks pretty nice but if you really want to try your luck with saltwater, then I would consider something a little bigger. But that's just my opinion.

Stussi613

Thanks for all your input guys. I'm sort of torn on this one...I really like the way his tank looks on the last page.  Like I said I'm worried about killing off some expensive creatures trying my hand at this, but I also really love the idea of the challenge!  I'm going to mull it over next week while I'm sitting on the beach in Punta Cana drinking piƱa coladas...

I haz reef tanks.

NanoSF

Why not do this then. Buy a cheap maybe even free 10 gallon tank. Get a couple of very small powerheads. Get some basic lighting, or even a DIY LED that would also fit the fluval edge. Start your set up in the basic 10 gallon. Learn the basics this way. Then use the powerheads, the corals, the light if you made yourself a small LED set up, and whatever else you have in the fluval edge. You will probably make some mistakes that you will learn from before you go stuffing it all into a challenging set up like the fluval. The 10 gallon will be a bit more forgiving (although 10 gallons aren't that forgiving to begin with). At least you haven't sunk the money into the fancy tank yet.