New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sump setup advice

Started by Thunda, April 24, 2011, 10:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunda

Well we got our 6 foot tank the other day.  I'll still need to make a proper stand to hold it but before doing so I thought I would take the 55g tank we have and turn it into a sump.  Once I have it made up and know where things will be going.  Will be better able to design and make the stand to house everything.  New to the use of sumps so after checking out some pictures and web sites getting a basic understanding I thought I would ask the experts. 

We have a fair bit of time yet before the official launch of the new tank.  We are thinking it will be around sept-oct.  Thanks again for all the advice.

Todd

Hookup

Very cool...6foot tanks rock hard... :)

So, what's yer question? 

Thunda

Geez where to start... guess first place would be.. should I try a do-it-yourself set up or have someone build it.

Thunda

get different points of view on what should be in the sump as well.  How much space should be given to each section.  The sump seems to be more complicated actually than setting up the tank.  Everyone talking about the different types of algae, running charcoal or not ... everyone I am sure has something that works for them.   

Greatwhite

I bought a pre-made sump, and then kinda wished I had just built my own.  However - look at the Aqueon Proflex sumps for design ideas.  The intake has a bubble tower and then 2 filter socks.  I have a refugium in the middle, and then the return pump and my skimmer and phosban reactor pump all in the 3rd compartment.  It's a bit of a tight fit in the 3rd compartment, but if you're converting a 55 into a sump, you should have PLENTY of space to play with. :)

Hookup

There are some good common links in the Useful SW links thread stickied in the SW forum.  Check there as they are the most commonly referenced and used.

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=47737.0

As for DIY vs Custom Build, it's pretty easy to do, but takes time and effort and running around getting things etc.  This form has a good DIY set of folks who can help with the details if you go that way.

Thunda

Thanks for the posting, looks like alot of reading ahead of me.  :)  Will be interesting reading though so all good.

Hookup

let me recomend the Melee's reef stuff.  it's good.

dan2x38

If you are able to set-up a sump behind the tank in a closet or basement I'd do that if I could've but I'm in an apartment. An in stand sump is fine but limited in what you can do. If you can do it in the basement your options are almost endless. I moved and happened to break a divider in my sump's baffle after the tank was filled on the fuge side now I am debating how the hell to repair it! :( If it were more accessible I could just shut down the fuge for a day or so and pop in another divider - presto.

If you do go with an in stand design I would suggest putting your return chamber in the middle just use a little plumbing to divert to a fuge - if you run one and I sure would.

BTW great sizes to be working with - like they say go big or go home... LMAO (I'm jealous)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Thunda

We are setting it up in the basement but sadly not able to have it near a closet, though that would be grand.  Melee's was very interesting and all of them helpful.  Alot to take in over a couple days though.  Thankfully I have a few months to do all that is needed.  Thanks again everyone for their thoughts and advice.  Look forward to meeting some of you at the next meeting.

Todd