New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Is the mailing list gone?

Started by pragma, October 24, 2003, 03:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pragma

I was subscribed to the mailing list at some point but now I'm not receiving messages... Is this forum all we've got now?

Thanks,
Paul

Marc

There used to be an active and often-used mailing list when it was on Yahoo.  When we switched over to a new server and website format the old mailing list was de-activated and a new one created on our new website.

Only a handful of people joined the new mailing list.  Even fewer messages were sent on it.  So when our old hosting provider vanished earlier this month and we moved the website to a new hosting provider I didn't bother creating a new mailing list.

If there is enough demand for it I can create a new one.

Marc
OVAS webmaster

pragma

Hmm... Marc, I've got to tell you I was never invited to join the new list!

Did you retain a list of the subscribers to the old list and invite them to join the new one?

If not, I probably have an archive of some of the email addresses of the most active participants.

There's nothing wrong with this forum software, in fact it's great, but you must admit some of the sense of an active community that used to exist centred around the mailing list has been lost! Plus, we've lost the great reminders about the meetings, reminders about the auctions and the trips to Montreal...

Let me know if and how I can help.

Regards
Paul

Marc

Hmmm ... well ...  Multiple emails were sent out on the old mailing list with all the information about the new mailing list.  Even people who had switched their settings to receive no emails were sent the new mailing list information.

Also  information about the new mailing list was posted on the front page of the website and there was a menu item for it.

Plus.... it did take you more than 10 months to ask about it.

Nevertheless I can create a new maliing list if a few more people express interest.

Meeting reminders and information about special events are posted on the front page of the website.

Marc
OVAS Webmaster

dpatte

I wish there where some way we could modify this code, as an option in the profile, so that we get informed whenever ANY new topic is started.

With that in place, then this would then work alot more like a mailing list and i bet there would be alot more activity in this forum from those that select that option.

Evan

I would be interested in a mailing list.

Marc

The forum code has been modified so that if you want, you will be notified of all posts (new posts and replies) to the forum.

In addition, the text of the post is included in the email.  To reply to the post you still need to go to the Bulletin Board.

You will not be notified when a post is edited.

To turn on this option, go to your profile and click "Yes" next to "Notify me of ALL posts to forums", then save your profile.

Let me know if you encounter any problems.

Marc