New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

RBTA Not Opening

Started by gerryo, August 13, 2011, 02:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerryo

About the middle of March I put an RBTA into my 54g Corner tank.  I placed it into a small crevass in the rock, sort of facing the front of the tank and down near the sand.
It then decided it did not like that slot, so it moved to the next slot in the same rock, facing the same direction.  This was under T5HO light only.
After about 2 months it withdrew into itself, and there it stays.  When I hold a small piece if fish beside it's mouth its tentacles come out a little way, grab the fish, put it into its mouth and withdraw again.

It has been doing this ever since.

How do I get it to open up fully?  Should it be facing up toward more light?  This RBTA was 4-5 inches in dia. when I got it.  It is now a lump, about 1 inch dia.

It doesn't make any difference when I have more of the blue LED's shining at it.

Any ideas?
gerryo

dan2x38

My guess might be to much flow for it. Move the rock it's in or it to another local.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Darth

try putting it up higher in the tank

az

try silversides, maybe we should experiment with my special formula.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

smalltownfan

I learned from the first GBTA I tried. Same thing as you. I got some advice for my second "Put it high and centre, he'll find out where he wants to go" It worked. It went down 3 inches and a bit to the side on the edge of the flow and it's been happy ever since. Even hosting some clowns now. I did the same with a quarter sized RBTA I picked up a few weeks ago from FT. It's on the same shelf but moved a bit closer to the flow and opening up nicely. Light and flow are the trick.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

Darth

Quote from: az on August 15, 2011, 01:03:55 PM
try silversides, maybe we should experiment with my special formula.

LOL guaranteed to make it bubble!! LMBO

gerryo

Thanx guys.

I moved it about 3 inches up toward the light, and I turned off the Koralia that was blowing toward it.  No results yet. 

Might need to go higher, but will wait until I get my new bulbs.  To be shipped from MOPS on Wednesday.  Maybe more brightness and more blue is needed.

This is my first Nem and would really hate to lose it over my being stupid.

I'll keep you posted.

Gerry

gerryo

After turning the rock so that the RBTA was higher and in more light, it stayed there for about 2 weeks.

It has now moved down again, on its own, and has moved to another crevass in the rock which takes it out of the direct light, but has still not opened up.  It's still feeding, but doesnt stay open after.

kole18

maybe something wrong with your water, im using t5 8 bulbs darn this rbta going so crazy almost sting one of its neighboor acropora actually it did happened a bit bleached my full colony of acro. do you use phospate reactor in your system? this is good for inverts help them to grow & to balance your calcium, mag etc... i don't feed my rbta whatever i threw or feed my fish that's all nothing i feed with this anemone...i'm using amino acid or coral accel seems to me everytime i dose this all my anemone or mushroom opening a lot & my sps coral as well lps too.