New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

POWER-SURG Bars...

Started by nickie, February 21, 2005, 05:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickie

When I lived rural in the sticks, in summer or winter with any big storm we always had power failures , my neighbour had his stero and TV ruined ......  I decided then to installed power-surg bars for  all electrical appliances !...  even my micro wave......  
    Here in Cornwall last fall ,  we had a big electrical storm, lighting all around the place,   I now connect all aquarium equiptment into
power surg bars !......  
      Question... without a power-surg bar, ist it possible for an aquarium heater to blow, and electricute the fish ?......

Julie

Even with a power surge bar of bad quality, you are not protected from surge damage.  During the ice storm, we had a power surge when the power came back on and my power surge bar turned black and melted.

Julie

dannypd

It is impossible for a heater to "blow up" and electrocute the fish.

It IS possible for the heater to blow it's "tempurature" fuse and OVERHEAT and COOK your fish.

Julie

Danny - the heater can still shatter though non related to surge.
As far as the thermometer failing, just get a small enough heater so the maximum temperature does not fry your fish.

Julie

dannypd

Quote from: "Julie"Danny - the heater can still shatter though non related to surge.
As far as the thermometer failing, just get a small enough heater so the maximum temperature does not fry your fish.

Julie

Yes, shattering WILL electrocute them, lol.

It wouldn't matter, the heaters work with a small piece of metal that contracts/expands based on the current tempurature.  If the metal FUSES on the conducting plates, it stays on.... even a 50 W heater could POTENTIALLY overheat a 40 gallon if its on long enough and without disturbances in the room (cold room, you're lucky....hot summer months, I doubt your fish will like you and your 40'C tank)