New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

SEEKING ADVICE Re POWER OUTAGE

Started by helxina, August 09, 2023, 04:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helxina

I have a 20 gal planted aquarium with tetras and a few shrimps.

I use my battery air pumps and sponge filter when there's a power outage but I'm still very concerned about the water temperature, especially when it's cold out. Last winter, the temperature dropped considerably after three days in the dark (from 79F to 67F), even though the tank was wrapped in a Mylar thermal blanket. Fish were still alive when the electricity came back but two of them died within the next few weeks.

I'd like to find a way to reduce the heat loss in my aquarium and I was wondering if heat pads would be any good. I'm also considering buying a rechargeable power station but I can't figure out which brand/model could keep my heater running longer than just a few hours. (Please note that a fuel powered unit is not an option for me.)

Any tips or suggestions on how to prevent a significant temperature drop in my aquarium will be greatly appreciated.

Jody

Hi Helxina,

Power outages during the winter can be tough, and there really isn't a great answer.
The best you can do is keep everything well oxygenated, don't feed, and wrap the tank like you are doing.
I know some people that use styrofoam sheets, but I think the thermal blanket would work the same.

You could do a heat pad set low, just to negate a bit of the heat loss.

A rechargeable power station is not a bad idea, and may last longer if you lower the temp on the heater. So instead of trying to bring it up to 76-78 degrees, set it for 70-72. Most tropicals will still be fine at that temperature, and the heater won't be running as long or as often. This may give you a bit of bonus time, before you have to try to get it recharged.

A big thing if the temperature drops a lot, is to bring it up slowly over the course of several days, instead of trying to bring it right up as quick as possible. This can cause stress and lead to more fish loss.

I am not sure what brand power station is going to give you the longest life, so I can't really help there.

Jody

helxina

Thanks for the quick reply, Jody. Resettingmy heater at a lower temperature is an excellent idea.

Hope to hear from other members as to what they do to prevent a significant drop in temperature when a breakdown lasts for several days.