New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

The Glo Ballast System, truly a " plug and play " : )

Started by speckledmind, July 14, 2007, 12:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speckledmind

Hey,
May as well make this into a DIY.

The Glo Ballast System ( or similar from other companies ) are great, and truly a " Plug and Play " set up.
Been using these for a while in several types of application, and very happy with the results.

For those who wonder what they look like, here is a Pict of what's in the box of the Glo System.
( I chose this type for my needs, but others are available such as HO and VHO ).
Buy the set up,
Chose the tube you like ( in my case, 48 inch daylight 6500K tubes from Canadian Tire at $6 each )
Plug them in,
If you want to go all out pick up a set of reflectors, or build a canopy,
set them on the tank,
and your off and running.

Cheers,
Denis

[attachment deleted by admin]

laffy

just picked up 4 sets of the t5HO kits and they are truly plug and play. 10 minutes later and your in business. pretty intense light out of these guys too!

darkdep

Just finished building two small light hoods today powered by this system.  Fantastic!

speckledmind

Here is something else to consider on these double Bulb set up.

These Lighting Ballast System have a long reach, and are quite versatile.

The electrical cords / outlet attached to each Bulb / Ballast is quite long, long enough in fact to run them individually on two separate tanks at the same time, if the tanks are placed one over top of the other on a metal stand, that's what I have done in the past, they probably also work if ran side by side : )
Look at the Pict.

[attachment deleted by admin]

speckledmind

I love retrofits, so here is one for you guys to consider.

Want to build a low budget light hood for these Glo Ballast system ?
It's easy, and no tools required.
Try this.

Step One : Set the tubes inside the end caps of the Glo Ballast system, and measure it end to end, then bring the exact measuments to the Reno store.

Step two : Head towards the Building Material of any large Reno store, and pick up an 8 foot length of plastic rain gutter $8.oo, plus two end caps $4.00 for these rain gutters.
They will cut it to size for free at Home Depot, others will charge you $1.oo wow

Step Three : Have it cut, or cut the plastic rain gutter to the exact measurement of the tubes plus the end caps of the Glo Ballast system from Step One.

Step four : Insert one of the end caps on one end of the plastic rain gutter ( it's a snug fit, no glue needed )

Step Five : Take the tubes already set up with the Glo Ballast system and end caps, and set it inside the rain gutter assembly, then take the other end cap of the rain gutter and insert it on the other end, creating a snug fit that holds the tube assembly inside the plastic gutter.

Step Six : Set the assembly over the tank, and let the ballast hang over the back of the tank, then plug it in and enjoy : )

Option : Want to make a look a like PoloLite, paint the plastic rain gutter and end caps Matt black spray paint form the automotive dept. : )

Want to splurge and go all out : You can also cut a notch on the back of the rain gutter, to accommodate the cord from the tubes : )

Since it's not a glued assembly and only a snug fit, it will be easy to remove one of the plastic gutter end caps and change a tube when need be.

Enjoy  ;)

AdamR

I got the last T5HO kit at Superpet Merivale for $17.  :)  They are down to 75% off today.

Alain

Anyone know if and where we can get the Glo Ballast System

blizzack1

redbelly

The Glow Balasts were carried by Superpet but as you well know they are now owned by Petsmart and dont carry this product anymore. (to the best of my knoledge anyways)

charlie

Quote from: blizzack1 on March 03, 2009, 04:44:21 PM
Bump :)
They can be had at Critter Jungle, Carling
1405 Carling Av, Ottawa ON, K1Z 7L6
(Hampton Park Plaza)