New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquarium Plants Info Request

Started by FamilyZoo, December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FamilyZoo

What plants would you recommend for starting up fresh in a tank with no previous plants. Is there a particular light system that we ought to be using in order that the plants have a better survival rate?

Plants seem to do okay in the tank with the aquaclear, but die in the one with the biowheel.  Though you wouldn't think that would be the case.  

At the moment I have Hornwart in my 30 gallon.  We picked up a wisteria and put it in the 20 gallon last night,  and another plant whose name escapes me at the moment for the 10.  Eventually I'd like to have a little jungle in there for the fish to enjoy, and babies to hide in.  

Can you recommend any books, sites, resources or personal experience that I might be able to use?  In particular I'd like to find a book that shows pictures of the various plants, and identifies them for us, along with showing us the care required..  

Hopefully my neon newbie light isn't too brightly shining..  

Thanks very much!

Tammy

KarEn

I'd recommend Swords, water valesneria, cryptocoryne. These are very hardy plants and easy to start with. JMHO.   8)
Regards,
Kar En
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 120 Gal Miracles Aquarium (starphire glass) Tanganyikan Cichlids |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cichlid Empire is built on intelligence, adaptability and a surprising degree of parental care for their young.

I'd recommend the following plants:

Microsorum pteropus (Java Fern)
Hygrophila polysperma
Anubias sp. (hard to find, and pricey)
Rotala sp.

Here's a general reference for aquatic plants on the web:
http://www.aquaplant.org/