New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

A plant newbie Q / A

Started by StylinT, November 07, 2004, 10:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StylinT

I was wondering what i could use in my oscar tank for live plants I have 300 watts of lighting in my 110 gallon oscar tnak an i wann put in some hardy live planst that dont need to much care or anything else special the only plant that i have decicded on is java moss an thats all so far

what does any else recommend ????

BigDaddy

You can't plant an Oscar tank.  An Oscar plants your tank.  Oscars are notorious for rearranging the landscape.  Your Oscar will uproot every live plant you put in that tank on an almost daily basis.

The only plants that might have a fighting chance are plants you tied down to decor, such as java fern, java moss and anubias.  All of those plants are very slow growing, and with all that light over your tank, you will end up with tons of algae.

Obviously you aren't going to swap out your Oscar... so I'd say pull the lighting.  Unless, of course, you enjoy looking at green water.

StylinT

ya ok then i will pull at leats half the lighting out

i know that oscars are bad i fight with mine daily an the decorations they move aorund lol but stuff that attcahes to decorations an stuff would be good i tohugh tlike java moss an duck weed etc

Aiglos

My oscar is only 5 inchs big and he ruined all my plants.  I second big daddy, plants are pretty much out of the picture.

Anubias

Watersprite does well with oscars.

Ron

You could also float pennywort at the surface - it would do very nicely with that light, and soak up a lot of the nutrients your oscar will no doubt be reponsible for.

StylinT

Hmm i like the idea of pennywort
ive tried duckweed but it never lasts in my tank the Oscars love to eat it