New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

cycle on 55gal

Started by Mike L, April 10, 2014, 02:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike L

Finally got the tank level and secured to floor. I'm ready to put water in it and start the filter. In anticipation of the new setup I placed a bag full of eheim bio-media in another canister filter figuring to use with the new setup. It has been in the filter for easily 3-4 months. Will this be sufficient to jump start the tank to an almost instant complete cycle. I'm thinking a couple of days max. I will be placing 12 juvie cyps in the tank and one other species.
Regards Mike

fischkopp

Yes. You are basically adding all the bacteria that are required for the nitrogen cycle when you add seeded media. What will take a little time is for them to spread within the filter and the tank itself, but that itself doesn't take too long. Depending on the bacteria only a couple of hours to days - so I have been told. I think - and I do so myself - it's save to add fish slowly to the tank pretty much within 24-48 hours; and then slowly increase the bioload every other day to a week or so. On new smaller tanks I often just swap a filter and add fish right away. Never had any issues this way. But it is always good practice to keep an eye on new additions for the first 24 hours. You never know. Bad things tend to happen quickly.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Mike L

The bio media is from a 75 gallon cichlid tank with good stocking rate so the bio-media is used to the load it will service.  I will also be substituting some of the aragonite from that tank into the new tank as well. I intend to keep a close eye on parameters too. Thanks though. It's always good to hear from others to confirm your on the right track.
I read an interesting article recently that said that bacteria actually secrete a glue like substance that allows them to cling to surfaces. It warns against simply squeezing a dirty sponge into a tank and thinking you are adding bacteria. While there is some it is not nearly enough and in fact you might be doing more harm then good by adding dirt that can't be processed quickly enough.
  Mike out

fischkopp

There is probably something to it; I wouldn't want to squeeze a dirty filter into a tank. Yuck!  :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031