New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

moving fish

Started by Mike L, April 27, 2014, 01:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike L

I'm going to be transferring cyps from a grow out tank to their final home. All the parameters are the same in the new tank. Should I still be acclimating them or can I move directly. I was thinking I might put them into a bucket with water from the grow out, then gradually adding water from the new tank over a half hour or so period. Suggestions please

robt18

Unless they're on the same system, the water conditions can vary depending on what's in the tank, different water change schedules, and other factors. While they still might be very similar, they'll still be slightly different. Acclimating always makes it safer for the fish when being transferred, it's up to you if you want to take the time to accommodate the slight difference.

Personally, I didn't so a lot of acclimating between by tanks when I would transfer fish and they always did fine when the water conditions were similar.

Mike L

I did the transfer last night. I took water from the grow tank about half full and used the drip method over a 45 minute period then netted them into the new tank. All are doing great and eating well. These are F-1 cyps that I wanted to keep safe as I lost 3 on initial purchase. Thank you for your input.
Mike