New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Opinion needed on cichlid set ups

Started by Graham, June 16, 2014, 08:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Hi all, I have multiple tanks all designated towards my African cichlids. My original intention is that I would breed as well as buy species at a small size and as the grew in size, I'd put them into my show tank. I'm finding that almost every time I do so, I end up with either a dead fish or one that gets beat on poorly. Sometimes they make it, but I feel like maybe they just can't stand up against fish that are larger than them. I grow them out to about 3 inches and them put them in with the adults that are 4-6 inches during water changes, feedings etc. So what I think I'm going to do is sell off all my growouts instead of putting them in the show and use that money to buy larger adults. Does that sound like a better plan, or should I continue to grow them out larger?

Mike L

Introducing cichlids particularly Africans to a tank that has a hierarchy established is problematic especially Malawians. It usually won't be the big boss but the sub-dominant fish that do the damage. How many fish in the show tank,what size tank and how much of a rock structure do you have. Typically I choose my fish introduce them all at once and leave it alone. 
Mike

robt18

Try introducing several at a time, make sure they're adult size, and rearrange your rock work when you add them to disturb their territories. Adding at night sometimes helps too.

Graham

My tank is a 72 gallon 4ft bowfront. It has a fair bit of lace rock in it and has about 15-20 fish. And Mike I do agree with you, it seems to be the subdominant ones that do most of the beating.  I've tried adding several at a time, but what seems to happen for me, is then the sub dominant males will just choose one of the new additions and pick at him and leave the others alone. It's rather strange, but I guess thats what I signed up for with africans