New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My brain is hurting

Started by Jimbo, December 13, 2011, 12:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

I'm a new member to OVAS, and I had hoped to make a different kind of first post.

Today, I had a bit of an accident with my open brain coral. Last night I bought a new frag and being tired after getting home late, I decided to put the new frag in a "safe" place in my tank so that I could find it a better home in the morning. When I went to view my tank this morning I discovered that the new frag had been blown from its "safe" place on to my prize open brain coral.

The open brain has (or I should say "had") 3 polyps, 1 of which was already deceased by the time I came to view my tank - brown jelly and bare bones sticking out all over the place. Unfortunately, the 2nd polyp appears to be following the 1st polyp to the great ocean in the sky.

Is there any way I might be able to save the 3rd polyp?

redbelly

When you say you have an open brain with three polyps, do you mean that you have something like a lobophyllia?
The term "open brain" usually refers to a trachaphyllia or wellsophyllia or similar.

Eitherway way give it a strong blast of the current to blown off all the brown jelly, cutting off the dead heads or in this case the live one can help and put it in a high flow area should help to stop the damage from spreading.

Jimbo

It was a trachaphyllia. Unfortunately it is now deceased.

Thanks for the advice. I hope I never have to use it  :)