New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Petsmart

Started by shaggis, February 16, 2007, 11:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shouganai

I've always disliked the Petsmarts in this town, the store itself just seems so... dog-centric.  And the reptile and fish depts always seemed so lackluster.  I don't like the idea of only dealing with cruddy wholesalers and not local people for fish/herps/rodents/feeders (poor Mouse House, I wonder what'll happen!) much either.

I haven't shopped at either store in a very long time..I've never been a fan of Petsmart's anti-bully breed stance, and PJ's has those awful mall stores with the milled dogs, so I try to limit my purchases from both of late, but I'd still go to Super Pet over PS for supplies any day if I need them.

The whole situation seems like kind of a bummer, and I'm not quite sure what to think of it yet.  I'll just have to wait and see, I guess.. not much point in speculating much.

beowulf

Rolf Hagan, the found of the company, moved to Canada many years ago and all his children and the company are Canadian with their headoffice, warehouse and breeding center in Montreal.

sniggir

what does it matter the ansestry of the people who own the company?.... the company is based in montreal, and is canadian...
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

mseguin

I think that was beowulf's point

Mettle

The supplier thing is what scares me the most... Knowing some of the companies that Super Pet dealt with, I can only imagine what Pet Smart has.

And as for PETA... They're a bunch of radical wackos who are too busy being self-righteous rather than actually worrying about the well-being of animals. They're a joke and shouldn't be given nearly as much consideration or time as they normally are in media and people's minds in general.

mseguin

PJ's is part of the SuperPet family of stores, along with SPExpress, PetsUlimited, etc, mostly (or maybe exclusively?) in the GTA.

nanray

I have worked for Super Pet for several years and all I can say is that I will be drafting up a resume just in case. I am very nervous that we will become the warehouse look and feel that pet smart currently has. Being a devoted employee to SP will not change as long as it stays as much like the environment it currently has. I feel bad for all the staff at the stores who are still around after having built the barrhaven, kanata, merivale and orleans locatio. poured their sweat into it only to see what they have created changed. SP has always allowed staff to mold there department into their own little business, making each department in each store drastically different. I feel as though we will become cookie cutter like all the other pet smarts out there and will lose our sense of individuality and care. I wish all the best to the SP crew through this tough time, change is not easy and most do not cope well. Support them, they have the same feelings about this as those who shop there. :-[

kennyman

Quote from: nicoblue on February 19, 2007, 04:56:12 PM
In the spirit of repetition, I have worked at Petsmart for a number of years. Petsmart is really trying to move away from the warehouse store. I dont know how many times I have to post this but they are Renovating so it wont look liek a warehouse. There is no reason why they would change the new super pets to look less inviting than they already are.

You can repeat it all you want, but it is still only your oppinion.

People have a hard time imagining two businesses that had a substantial difference in quality and service maintaining that individuality under a single franchise name. I know I sure do. As things happen we will all see how it plays out but I only buy the odd thing like a dog collar at PetSmart/SuperPet so this has no direct impact on me. I do however mourn the loss of that little mapleleaf and resent the encroachment of more big box stores despite your assurances of the good intentions of a giant multinational cooperate head office  :)