New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Spencer Jack Uruguay Collecting Trip

Started by PaleoFishGirl, February 27, 2007, 08:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleoFishGirl

Spencer Jack has asked me to let everyone who is genuinely interested in a Uruguay collecting trip know that he will have the itinerary completed this weekend and will release it later this week on a first come first serve basis.

He also mentioned that if he gets enough interest, he may stay in the country and do a second trip!

I don't have any more details at this time but will keep you posted with any further information I receive.

beowulf

Excellent I talked to the wife again last night and she is still open to it so I want my name to be first on the list  :P

zippity

both zippitygirl and i might be interested too, depends on money at that time.

zapisto

dont have all the Info .
but if wife come , did she have to come collect ?
or can she stay and please herself  around ?

thanks

beowulf

Quote from: zapisto on February 27, 2007, 10:19:16 AM
dont have all the Info .

thanks

Salut Pat, elle pourait rester avec ma femme!!!  Nous alllons collecter des poisons et eux du soleil  ::)

Nerine

I really want to go as well...dh doesn't think it's a great idea...not his idea of fun to go walking thru cow patty filled ponds...but he can sit with the other spouses who want to go but not collect ;) we can always use people back at 'camp' making food! haha
I will go as long as I can fit it into the budget. I'm already saving :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

beowulf

Great part of bringing a spouse who does not collect is the spouse in theory should have his/her own quota to bring back.

Nerine

Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

babblefish1960

According to Mr. Jack, the first rule of collecting trips is "what happens on the collecting trip stays on the collecting trip"! Bringing a spouse along on a collecting trip precludes the opportunities for ever having any secrets to keep. :)  Not that I would ever subscribe to behaving differently abroad than I would at home.

Mettle

When's this all happening?

I'm supposed to be in Peru in December.  :)

PaleoFishGirl

Quote from: zapisto on February 27, 2007, 10:19:16 AM
dont have all the Info .

From Spencer:

"I have one couple where the wife is tagging along to have fun, another who is looking at dumping the wife in a resort to go collecting and join up with her after etc. "

Why is it always the wife that seems to be the problem?! :)

beowulf

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on February 28, 2007, 06:23:27 AM
From Spencer:

"I have one couple where the wife is tagging along to have fun, another who is looking at dumping the wife in a resort to go collecting and join up with her after etc. "

Darn women!!!  All good mine actually wants to come and collect the fish and bring her share home!!

RoxyDog

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on February 28, 2007, 06:23:27 AM

Because 99.99% of the world's fish geeks are men?   :D
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

PaleoFishGirl

Uruguay 2007 ~ Preliminary Itinerary

1 DAY;
Arrive - lunch, talk about the plan, maps, yet more food, spend the night in Salinas

2 DAY;
After breakfast we travel to "Paso Pache" in the Rio Santa Lucia, region of Canelones. Paso Pache is 95 kilometers from Salinas, a very nice place and a lot of fishes. Back home to Salinas

3 DAY;
Around 07.00 AM to "33" (central-east Uruguay). From Salinas to "33" we have 250 kilometers, we stay in "33" and there we have 2 places for collecting: "Laguna de Arnaud" (lake) and the Rio Olimar Grande. When we finish with all the collecting, around 18.00PM we drive to "Charqueada"; 65 kilometers from "33".

4 DAY;
From Charqueada we drive to "Valentines", along the way (120 kilometers) we will stop do some collecting at "Arroyo Del Tigre". After collecting here we will continue to Valentines (50 kilometers) and stay in an "Estancia" (like a ranch).

5 DAY;
Collect around the ranch (horses?) at Arroyo Las Pavas and Arroyo Averias. That night we will stay at the ranch.  The ranch is very old; from 1870, but the food is VERY good, nice places to collect, wonderful landscape, big rooms (2 rooms for 4 people each). They don't have any electricity at the ranch, but they use sun/wind +batteries.

6 DAY;
After lunch, around 13.00PM we drive back to Salinas 230 kilometers, we will arrive around 17.00 PM.

7 DAY;
We drive to "Rocha" (east Uruguay at the Atlantic sea) 235 kilometers. We will rent a big truck and drive 25 minutes to the sealion colony in "Cabo Polonio".  The colony of the sealions here are the most important population in South America.  After the sealions we will drive 85 kilometers to the town of "Velazquez", also in the region of Rocha. We will spend the night in Velazquez

8 DAY;
We will collect in the "Arroyo de la India Muerta", Velazquez and then  drive back home, 245 kilometers and drive back to Salinas later in that day.

9 DAY;
A day trip into the Capital city Montevideo

10 DAY;
Pack the fishes and prepare for their inspection and departure.

A sample of the species that we will collect;

Gymno. gymnogenys "Santiago" (Velazquez)
Gymno. gymnogenys "Maldonado" (Maldonado)
Gymno. gymnogenys "Olimar" (33)
Gymno. cf. gymnogenys "El Tigre" (Valentines)
Gymno cf. gymnogenys "Paso Pache" (Canelones)

Gymno. labiatus "3 Puentes" (33)
Gymno. labiatus "Averias" (Valentines)
Gymno. labiatus "SureƱo" (Maldonado"

Gymno. rhabdotus "Santiago" (Velazquez)

Gymno.n.sp. "Blue Neon" (Valentines)

Geophagus sp.cf. brasiliensis "Laguna de Arnaud" (33)

Australoheros scitulum "Paso Pache" (Canelones)
Australoheros n.sp."Local" (Valentines)

Crenicichla cf.lepidota "India Muerta" (Velazquez)
Crenicichla punctata "Blue 33" (33)
Crenicichla cf.punctata "Paso Santiago" (Velazquez)
Crenicichla scottii "Santa Lucia" (Paso Pache-Canelones)

and a lot of tetras, loricaridaes, etc,etc,etc

The price depends on how many people are on the trip.  Price breakdown is as follows.  Airfare to Montevideo is above this price. (flight connects through Miami I will be working on group deals)
For US and Canadian Citizens there are no Visa requirements. Only recommended shots are your standard inoculations for Canada / US plus Hepatitis A & B 

7 people =    1,450USD
8 people =     1,350 USD
9 people =     1,250 USD
10 people =   1,150 USD

Price includes;
-   All food
-   All lodging
-   All guiding
-   All permits to collect on private land
-   All transportation and vehicle rentals within the country
-   Export and sanitary permits for the fishes.

* More details to follow

babblefish1960

I'm afraid that this wasn't the collecting trip that Mr. Jack was showing us pictures of, you see, nowhere in there is there any mention of the places where he had taken pictures of new friends they had made in quiet places. ;)

Nerine

holy smoke :D
that's totally affordable!!!!!
crossing fingers

beowulf

Quote from: Nerine on March 02, 2007, 09:55:59 AM
holy smoke :D
that's totally affordable!!!!!
crossing fingers

The way I understand this is that the plane is on top of that amount.  Can someone maybe clear this up?

Nerine

yes...that's what it looks like to me that the airfare is on top that...

but I checked...from Ottawa to Montevideo it's 1400$ <-quick edit> it depends on what time you go too!! but that was a rough estimate

scorpion-stinger

DAMMM!!! thats too bad I wish I could go on this exciting trip. Unfortuanatly I can't cross the border :( :D ::)

Nerine

PaleoFishGirl

You are correct.  "Airfare to Montevideo is above this price. (flight connects through Miami I will be working on group deals)"

scorpion-stinger

Ahhhh  :-[ got caught with a reefer when I was younger  :D lol. So now I have a criminal record  :D

beowulf

Quote from: scorpion-stinger on March 02, 2007, 11:16:07 AM
Ahhhh  :-[ got caught with a reefer when I was younger  :D lol. So now I have a criminal record  :D

How long ago?  You can get a pardon very easy to fix this.

artw

this trip is very reasonably priced for what you get.  people pay more for that for a week in Cuba and you don't even get to bring home fish.

I am definately interested in this trip.   PFG did Spencer give you an idea if this was imminent? or within the next 6-12 months?

beowulf

Quote from: artw on March 02, 2007, 11:53:34 AM
this trip is very reasonably priced for what you get.  people pay more for that for a week in Cuba and you don't even get to bring home fish.

I am definately interested in this trip.   PFG did Spencer give you an idea if this was imminent? or within the next 6-12 months?

I was under impression it was thins coming November. So about 6 months.

babblefish1960

Spencer Jack definitely mentioned this coming November, and he said also, that if there were enough people, he would just stay down there and greet two separate consecutive trips, so numbers didn't seem to be an issue.

artw

hmm. this year Uruguay, and Malawi in 2 years. Yeah, I can handle that ;)

babblefish1960

email from spencer jack.

Most importantly I have the itinerary of the first trip to Uruguay in November.  Folks who are interested I have the trip itinerary and the all inclusive costs of the trip during the stay.  I am aiming for the first week of November time frame for a 10 day trip to be the first one. I will be taking small deposits soon to reserve space as I am limited to the number of people I can take for a successful trip.  If you wish to be placed on the Uruguay updates please reply to this email asking to be added to the list and I will keep you up to date with all future updates on this and subsequent trips.

scorpion-stinger

artw

jody can you post, or send me the email address for that mailing list?

beowulf

babblefish1960

I'll see what I can do, it sounds technical, maybe I'll get succinctfish to do that, she's both smarter and better looking than I. ;)

zapisto

damnit
No apistogramma :(
i am a bit frusttated :) hhehe
well have crenichicla .... but still :(

bitterman

Quote from: babblefish1960 on March 02, 2007, 01:12:40 PM
email from spencer jack.

Most importantly I have the itinerary of the first trip to Uruguay in November.  Folks who are interested I have the trip itinerary and the all inclusive costs of the trip during the stay.  I am aiming for the first week of November time frame for a 10 day trip to be the first one. I will be taking small deposits soon to reserve space as I am limited to the number of people I can take for a successful trip.  If you wish to be placed on the Uruguay updates please reply to this email asking to be added to the list and I will keep you up to date with all future updates on this and subsequent trips.

People the deer hunt will be passing this trip up ;)

homestar726

I think this is a crazy wicked idea. Count me in, if I can manage to scrounge up the money. I got the passprt already  :D Just one last thing holding me back  8)

artw

it's not overly expensive, for what you get...  the only downside is I don't think there is actually any scuba diving or snorkelling, well maybe a bit of snorkelling.   I can crawl around mudpuddles looking for fish in Ontario

homestar726

You cant find tropical fish in Ontario :D

babblefish1960

Okay folks, the expedition is going to take place in November this year, and if you want to sign up for it, there will be a deposit required to secure a spot on this, as there are only so many people that can go on each trip. So naturally, first come first served, and this is where the money talks. So, those of you that now have the information directly from the horse's mouth, you can tell us when the sign up date will require some monetary commitment, and how much of course. Put your hands up those that are going and let's get this trek to Uruguay underway. :)

PaleoFishGirl

Spencer has asked me to mention that there is one spot left for the first Uruguay trip.
He has opened up a second trip and there are 3 spots left - act fast!

More Details

hamstercaster

I must admit to be very tempted by this trip.  1150$ US for 10 days all inclusive (provided the maximum of people go) is just a ridiculously low price for a trip that promises to be filled with laughs, fun and wonders.  Unfortunatly I have too many expenses coming up for the house in the following months and won't be able to go... nor would my wife let me go without taking her with me  ;D and then you're up to 2300 US which is still very cheap for a trip for two but still a good load of cash that I don't have lol....

I've been on his website to look at the details and I'm positive that the people who will sign up for this trip will not regret it!!!  This reminds me a bit of my trip in Morroco in the early 90's.  We spent a week there and visited so many cities and travelled by chartered bus pretty much every day we were there and it was so much fun.. so I can only imagine what Uruguay will be like... adding fish collecting on top of that...Wow!!!... Maybe one day... :)

darkdep

I'm pretty close to signing up for this....Just need approval from the Galaxy Masters.

artw

I am right behind you DarkDep...  that sounds like a deal too good to pass up.

beowulf

I talked to Spencer and since he will more then likely be doing this next fall I am probably going then.  This year was to much of a hassle with the house and wedding and Ashley didn't have enough vacation time left so I would have to go alone.

PaleoFishGirl

Updated itineraries for both trips have been posted.  I *think* there is still room on the second trip, but you'd have to ask to be sure.  First one(s) with the money get the spots :)

http://cichlaholic.com/uruguay07.html

Nerine

I hate to pass it up...but next year :D always next year!

PaleoFishGirl

Just wanted to let you know that there are still spots open on *both* trips... so what are you waiting for (eh, APW? go for it!) :)

http://cichlaholic.com/uruguay07.html

jetstream

Just noisy to know. You just bring back the fishes that you caught by yourself? Is there a catch limit set by the governing body? Most likely I can only collect fishes in the concrete jungle!  ;)

Cheers,

darkdep

Can't do it PFG; I'm a match for the kidney donation :)  Looks like I'll be very unable to travel around that time.  Next year, for sure.  I really want to go :)

beowulf

Quote from: jetstream on August 17, 2007, 06:22:53 PM
Just noisy to know. You just bring back the fishes that you caught by yourself? Is there a catch limit set by the governing body? Most likely I can only collect fishes in the concrete jungle!  ;)

Cheers,

Yes you bring back what you catch.  I forget the limits by heart but I think someone mentioned them earlier in this thread and Spencer mentioned them during his presentation last winter.

If Ashley had more vacation time left I would be there in a second.  Ahhh to dream!!!

PaleoFishGirl

Still a couple of spots open on both trips... I guess if you wanted to go, you'd have already signed up, but will it make a difference if I say I'm probably going on the second trip? :)

PaleoFishGirl

Off to Uruguay tomorrow morning - you guys are missing out! I'll let you know how it goes when I'm back near the end of the month, try and talk you into tagging along next year! :)

beowulf

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on November 13, 2007, 09:24:17 AM
Off to Uruguay tomorrow morning - you guys are missing out! I'll let you know how it goes when I'm back near the end of the month, try and talk you into tagging along next year! :)

I soooo hope to be able to go next year.  We had planned on using all our vacation to go to Europe in August on out honeymoon but now my brother got engaged and is going to get married next August which messes up our Europe trip. 

A fish collecting honeymoon in Uruguay maybe?

Ormarr

Quote from: beowulf on November 13, 2007, 10:38:07 AM
A fish collecting honeymoon in Uruguay maybe?

I sure do hope you have a very understanding wife.  :P

beowulf

Quote from: Ormarr on November 13, 2007, 11:08:35 AM
I sure do hope you have a very understanding wife.  :P

LOL I am sure she would not care she acually wants to come this year but we are unable to because she does not have enough vacation time left.

sas

fishycanuck

PFG, have a wonderful time. Who else is going from OVAS?

jodes22

Have a great time PFG! I am sooo jealous!!!

Nerine

Have a great time and bring back lots of photos!!!!

PaleoFishGirl

No one else from OVAS is going, for some strange reason! Not sure why you guys are passing up a trip like this.

I will be sure to take lots of photos and videos.  I am also bringing back fish (fitted my luggage with styros last night) and hopefully shrimp!

darkdep

PaleoFishGirl

OK I'm off, see you in a couple of weeks 8)

Nerine

Have fun! :)
Wish I was going too!!! next time though :D when my credit cards have more space on them ;)

PaleoFishGirl

Yup, I'm back, what an INCREDIBLE trip! You guys really missed out (don't do it again - make sure to sign up for next year!). 

I'm working on a 'trip report' that I'll post with photos when it's ready.  Spencer gets back on the 6th (I almost stayed for the second trip, it was that good) and has most of the photos on his laptop.

No one from OVAS but me... in my group:

Spencer Jack & John Sabo (Winnipeg) - for those who know John, he was one of the highlights of the trip
Howard Paynter & Klaus Gebhardt (Bermuda)
Mike Wiwchar (Edmonton)
Alan Rolling(s?) (Sheffield, UK)

The fish there are amazing and obviously very hardy! I brought home two fish boxes worth (mostly different species of gymnos).  The airlines lost one bag and I didn't get it back until Tuesday evening (fish were bagged Saturday afternoon, I arrived home on Sunday afternoon).  Somehow, all the cichlids were still alive!

Check out Felipe (our guide)'s web site for pictures of the fish and the country in the meantime.  I highly encourage all of you to think about going on the next trip, it doesn't get much better than this.

zapisto

hope spencer will bring back some shrimp PFG :)

Fishnut

What was the food like?  I am so afraid of going on trips like that because I have way too many food allergies.  If I were to tell them I'm a vegetarian, as in no fish either, would I starve?

jetstream

I heard Spencer was expecting and will bring back lots of fishes from Uruguay with him. Plus his fish farm stocks are all ready to go after he came back from his trip. Would like to participate a collection trip like that instead of fish hunting in the concrete forest. Anyway, what I can do now is get my overdraft protection ready!  ;)

PaleoFishGirl

Vegetarians would not do well on this trip - we ate a LOT of meat.  They don't actually eat much fish in Uruguay, which is strange considering how much good sportfishing there is (and how half of the country's border is ocean coastline). 

Quote from: jetstream on November 30, 2007, 02:38:39 PM
I heard Spencer was expecting
...  :o

Spencer plans to bring back his quota of fish and put them in his Florida farm.  The Gymnogeophagus he collected last year are already well established in one of his ponds.  It's hard to bring back 'lots' of fish from Uruguay because shipping is expensive ($8/kilo just to get them to Miami) so we took back whatever we could fit in our luggage - it worked out to one styrofoam fish box per checked bag.

All things considered, it wasn't that expensive of a trip for me.  My AVION miles paid for my flight, which would have been about $2000 (the American guys on the second trip got round trip tickets for $700!!  The trip itself cost $1450USD - it was supposed to be $1150USD but we had people drop out at the last minute so kind of got screwed (I can bet that won't happen again next year).  Once there, I really didn't spend any money, didn't have to.