New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Let's Talk 'Celestial Pearl Danios' or 'Galaxy Rasbora'

Started by dan2x38, July 05, 2007, 11:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Hopefully by the end of the weekend will have moved things around and have my CPDs in a 20g.

Zoe what about some endlers? Their small and live in temperate water too.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Toss

This is awesome! :)
Hopefully with larger tanks they breed more and faster, so OVAS can supply each other with tank bred CPD :)
Keep it up and don't forget to share the success stories.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

dan2x38

Voltaire:

Zoe

Quote from: dan2x38 on July 07, 2007, 09:09:25 AM
Hopefully by the end of the weekend will have moved things around and have my CPDs in a 20g.

Zoe what about some endlers? Their small and live in temperate water too.

Not into livebearers, to be honest.  We've had a couple endlers before and they're cute, but I can take or leave em!

Fishnut

Good idea on the log...I should start one.

Zoe, you sound a lot like me...I love the fish that are uncommonly kept.  Everything else is just...meh, ok.

In cycling the new CPD tank, my plans are to siphon the gravel in the current CPD tank and dump all that dirty water in the new tank.  I usually leave the gravel alone just in case there are eggs in there, so it should be nicely packed with beneficial bacteria.  When cycling the tank this way, how long will I have to wait before adding the 3 CPD's if I do this a few times?

I also bought the java moss in the pic from BA yesterday.  I rinsed it several times in hopes of getting the "germs" out.  Would anyone suggest waiting before I add the CPD's just to make sure that if there are any germs in it, that they are long gone, or has rinsing gotten rid of anything bad.  The moss was in livebearer tanks there.

dan2x38

I put up my new 29g tonight then moving my fish from the 20g to there. The CPDs from a 5.5 into the 20g established. The new set-up has lots of stuff from my established tanks media, decorations, & plants. Going to leave that new tank for a few days then test the water before moving the fish. Maybe should consider setting up the new one and leave for a few days to see how it goes and test. The old adage, "Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". These little guys like Toss said react well to fresh water.
Voltaire:

dan2x38

I have 2 males & 4 females. The 1 male seems to be the dominate one. He chases the other male away. I think having a greater ratio of females to males would be better. Would give the both males time to spawn instead of chase. Just another tought.
Voltaire:

plecoL83

You may want to try breeding them like you breed zebra danios (remove them after the eggs have been laid). Although I've seen pictures of fry swimming alongside thier parents, they may get eaten (who knows).

dan2x38

Be very hard they breed in heavy jave moss.

Simpily amazing CPD pictures you have to see these!!! New fry, tank set-up, feeding tips, etc. Wow this guy has some amazing photos!!!

Picture of their nature habitat:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Voltaire:

Toss

9 gal - CRS

bearmassu

Okay I have 11 of them ... and have been reading all of this but some things havent been answered ...
the Cherry shrimp ... ????? good , bad .. I think bad ... but I have them together ... was wondering if there was a consensus on it ?
I don't have air conditioning right now .. what is the max temp they seem to be able to breed in ...
otherwise I got the java moss and all the plants they can hide in ....
they keep dancing around like crazy kids on drugs in a bar .. fun to watch but no babies yet ....

dan2x38

I got lots of action but no fry... they'll be in a new tank set-up by next week... fishinpen said about transferring the java moss very 3 days sounds like such a simple plan... KISS :) that is what I am going to trying... will keep my apple snail in the 5.5g to feed the filter and make the infusoria for any fry... there is already cherry shrimp in my java moss so they will end up in the CPD fry tank... as mentioned Good or Bad idea?
Voltaire:

Toss

John, you're starring at them too much. They need a little privacy ;)
9 gal - CRS

dan2x38

HOLY CRAP!!!

I got my 1st egg scattering fry my Celestial Pearl Danios spawned. I counted 5 fry likely more. Hopefully more will hatch  out by tomorrow. I am so thrilled. Way KEWL I can't believe it. I followed my research and suggestions through here. Mostly I would give much creidt to, 'fishinpenn it was his finial piece of the puzzle to move the moss back and forth. I think moving them to a larger tank also helped. I just moved the moss this morning for the first time. I am a Poppa...  :D ;D 8) cigars anyone...  :)

OH Toss your lucky java moss must a played a key part too... :)
Voltaire:

Zoe

Hey, there's some of my java moss in there too!
Congrats Dan :) You've worked so hard, you deserve it!

RoxyDog

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

sas

Awwwwwwwww that's great Dan! So neat when it all comes together :).

Toss

You deserve it! :)
Keep it going .. you will need more tanks soon ;)
Now the challenge is to raise them. I have not able to raised them myself in the same tank with their parents.
Keep us posted :)
9 gal - CRS

KLKelly

Wow - good job!!!!  Congrats.  (Need a dancing happy face icon!)

dan2x38

Due to health reasons my CPD breeding was at a slow down (stand still) and observation stage. Feeling a lot better now a days. Starting to get some nice success with my breeding. Last count on fry close to 50 maybe more. Is there anyone else breeding these little guys?

Does breeding tank raised fry between 2 sepearte breeders make the strain stronger or weaker?
Voltaire: