New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sick Fish

Started by Angel, January 01, 2008, 11:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel

Everyone will be glad to know, Kerri is dropping me of some medicine for Reba this afternoon :)

Angel

So today Kerri stopped by and was such a nice lady, she GAVE me Prazi as well as some pelet food (which Reba still hasn't touched) but I gave Reba her does of the Prazi today and I don't know if it possible that it could be working so fast but shes swimming all around the bottom of the tank, only stopping for occassional breaks. I will keep u all updated!
One question though, during this treatment, should I be doing water changes?

KLKelly

Test your water - if it needs a water change - ammonia or nitrite showing up or nitrates near 30 do a water change. I wouldn't do one right after you add prazi - check the numbers before.

Swimming a lot is probably a reaction to the prazi.  I expect it will be harder on her.  You have a bubble wand/stone in the tank right?  If she's still not eating tomorrow please let us know.  The food is medigold antibacterial food.  Soaking it first and breaking it up into tiny peices might help her if she's used to only eating flake food.  It is important that she eats.

How did she react when you first put it in???  I would have expected she would have really wigged out.  Adding it slowly like I mentioned would have allowed you to gage how she was dealing with it.

I expect she will start growing after treatment also.

I am sorry for being frustrated.  I was dealing with my own sick goldfish and I had to euthanize him last night.  I think its the hardest thing I've done in my life.

dan2x38

With a very sick bleeding heart tetra I had I crushed up his anti-bacteria food. I soaked it in Zoe liquid vitamins. I even used some regular flake in the mix. After about 5 minutes I used a turkey baster sucked up a small amount. Then lowered the baster slowly into the water just above him. I gently squeezed out some of the food. He would eat some. I never had a light on so he'd move around less. This way their metabolism slows so they need less food. Only problem I had to really watch the food building up on the bottom. He did recover and became one of my favorate fish.

You could even some soak some zucchini in the crushed up anti-bacteria food then put that in for her to eat.

The whole key is clean water, stable water and no drastic changes. The more stable it is for Reba the faster she will recover. If her water is fine don't disturb her but watch any food build up on the bottom it will rot and goldfish eat everything.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

Angel,  The adminstrator of the goldfish forum has some questions for you on your post over there.  I have some medicated gel food that might entice her.  I forgot all about it.

Angel

thanks I just went over and answered best I could. I also mentioned I think Reba just ate, but it all came back out in small little peices. Also I am noticing long stringy floating things in the tank?

Vizerdrix

Those are probably worms being expelled after the Prazy treatment.  I have them in my treatment tank too. 

At least, that's what I'm assuming they are!

KLKelly

If anybody knows it would be Betty/Dataguru.  It could be anything.  I hope she eats the food (fingers crossed).

I would wait for advice from Dataguru before adding the second dose of prazi tomorrow just in case.  I just want to make sure she can handle the treatment.

Thank you Angel for calling and treating her.  I hope she perks up and gets fat for you.

Angel

I gave her a quarter dose this morning, I hadn't read your message yet. I put more food in because I don't see the food I put in yesterday, I think she ate it!!!

I am heading out for the afternoon right now, so I will check back here when I get home to see if it is safe to add more prazi in.

Angel

I'm back,
Should I add another quarter tsp in there?

KLKelly

Did you add a full dose yesterday?  If not how much did you add yesterday?

If she is not wigging out - flicking against the gravel or ornaments etc, if she's not hovering in one spot with slow breathing, or if she doesn't look distressed yes please add another quarter of a teaspoon.  Try and get the full 1 and 1/4 teaspoon in the tank tonight.  Unless you see her start acting off.

Good news on her eating.  Try and feed it to her twice a day or three times if she takes a small third feeding.

Angel

I gave her the full dose yesterday. She seemed ok. Shes lazy though. I'll put in another quarter now.

Angel

I think she may be breathing slowly! I don't know what to do, I used to gravel vaccum and got out te debris at the bottom and added new water. but she looks like she is breathing very slowly right now. like shes kinda laying down. Shoot lemme see if I can get a video up. Stay with me Reba  :-[

KLKelly

Did you vacuum the gravel/water change after you thought she was breathing slowly?  If so how much water do you think you changed out and added back.  Did you remember to add the dechlorinator?

I would put her or the airbubbler near her.

One of my fish has that reaction - he is sensitive to the prazi.  Its like he holds his breath as long as he can.  I was worried about treating Reba because I was worried if she flukes bad - she would not feel good with them all dying. 

KLKelly

I was expecting a reaction yesterday though and not day two of treatment  ???

Angel

Quote from: KLKelly on January 20, 2008, 07:14:45 PM
Did you vacuum the gravel/water change after you thought she was breathing slowly?  If so how much water do you think you changed out and added back.  Did you remember to add the dechlorinator?

I would put her or the airbubbler near her.

One of my fish has that reaction - he is sensitive to the prazi.  Its like he holds his breath as long as he can.  I was worried about treating Reba because I was worried if she flukes bad - she would not feel good with them all dying. 

no I did it before she was breathing slowly, yes I added the decholrinator but I had to put it in after, because now that my other tank is leaking I have nowhere to store the water. I just tried to take a video but she spazzed out and started swimming all over, shes afraid of the camera. Is she supposed to constantly be opening and closing her mouth? Cause she doesnt all the time and when she does its like shes opening it slow then closing it slow.

KLKelly

Here is a link to my fish that I was scared about his prazi reaction..... I ended up doing a big water change after this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XXZ_1Db63A
let me know if you can see this video.

Is it like this?  Is she breathing rapidly - is her dorsal fin down and her fins stuck in at her sides?

Angel

Quote from: KLKelly on January 20, 2008, 07:30:07 PM
Here is a link to my fish that I was scared about his prazi reaction..... I ended up doing a big water change after this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XXZ_1Db63A
let me know if you can see this video.

Is it like this?  Is she breathing rapidly - is her dorsal fin down and her fins stuck in at her sides?

doesn't seem to be the same. She is in the corner right now not swimming around. The reason she swims in this video is because shes afraid of the camera but here is how she is acting

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v62/xoangelmariexo/?action=view&current=002.flv

remember shes only swimming around like that because of the camera, shes not doing that now, just hanging out in the corner on the ground

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v62/xoangelmariexo/?action=view&current=003.flv

KLKelly

From looking at the first video - the breathing doesn't scare me.  She doesn't look like she's gulping or rapid breathing. 

God she is so tiny - but she is absolutely precious!!!!!!!!  The way she sinks as fast as she does Angel - it makes me think that she has a swimbladder disorder and is what we call a sinker.  How long has she been on the bottom like that?  Do you ever see her floating in the middle of the tank.

Angel

she never floats, shes always on the bottom. Shes been like that over a month now, just before I moved home from school before the holidays. So like around Dec 16th. She never swims though, just hangs out on the bottom the way she is now. Like I said its like she has a weight in her belly because as soon as she does try to swim, shes on the bottom. I'm glad the breathing isnt worrying u. to me it seems sooooo slow; I am looking at her right now and I havent seen her breath that way before