New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

callamanus worms

Started by irene, February 04, 2009, 03:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

Cool Pete thanks.  All of my tanks are bare bottom so maybe that helps me too.

dan2x38

You can use Muriatic Acid it is HCL acid. This can be had in a pool supply shop and they sell it in Canadian Tire too if the supplies for pools are out. It is very cheap.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

I forgot about the HCL part.  Thanks Dan.

Pete - where did you get it?

Pistol_pete

Quote from: KLKelly on February 14, 2009, 12:02:25 AM
I forgot about the HCL part.  Thanks Dan.

Pete - where did you get it?

The HCL was already mixed in with the Levamisole so I didn't have to add anything. Check your product, it most likely has the HCL in it already (if it's in powder form).

KLKelly

Ok based on Petes instructions - I have 5 grams of Levamisole powder.  He's saying 2grams per 200 mls of water to make a stock solution then its 1ml per gallon.  If thats the case I have enough to treat 500 gallons.  I was told 5mgs would only treat 80-100gallons.

Am I missing something?

KLKelly

I ordered 30grams last week *doh*

irene

Here are the instructions that came with the 5g package:

Here's the instructions:
So, first do as large of a water change as you can without stressing the fish and make sure you do a gravel vacuum. Clean your gravel as much as you can as there may be baby worms in it. Treat the tank with the medication. Each 5 gram packet treats 88 gallons of water. So, when you get a 5 gram packet, add 88 ml of water to it and each 1ml of medication will treat 1 gallon of tank water. Try to keep the lights off when possible as the medication is light sensitive (from what I've been told).

Continue with the regular feedings and don't do another water change for at least 2 days. Then, on the third or fourth day you can do another major water change. I'd wait for at least 1 month before I treat the tank again as you may not get all the worms in the first shot e.g. hiding in the gravel.

You will notice that within the first or second day, those fish that are infected will have the worms slowly sticking further out from the fish's anus. They will soon be expelled and drop to the gravel. The expelling process may take upto 4 days. That's one of the reasons why you want to make sure you do a good gravel clean when you do the second water change.

I'd suggest doing 2 doses especially if you have gravel in the tank.

Keep in mind for each 5g packed, you'd want to add 88ml of water. Then, for each gallon of fish tank to treat, you'd only have to add one ml of medication.

This is the first time I've used this med, but I think the guy has in the fish business for some time and likely knows what he's talking about.

irene

dan2x38

Quote from: KLKelly on February 14, 2009, 05:32:03 PM
I ordered 30grams last week *doh*
From Irene's post I'd say you ordered the right amount...

30/5 = 6 then
6 * 88 = 528
so should treat 528 gallons
Voltaire:

Pistol_pete

You can do 5grams/88gallon but from all the research I did, it's overkill (I looked at government, manufacturer and university websites for the bulk of information). It's still below the lethal dose so it shouldn't harm your fish.

KLKelly

I am confirmed for callamanus worms.  From plants from over three weeks ago - not the person who gave me a heads up.  I had to euthanize my betta for dropsy. I didn't find out he was affected until after I euthanized him  :'(

Anyways - levamisole isn't supposed to affect your biofilters.

I have four tanks out of five showing ammonia ranging from .25 to 2.0!!!!  These tanks are super stable and my ph is high.  If it weren't for the ammonia alert card ouch.  My tanks are overfiltered and understocked.  Not up for a debate on this.  Just warning you guys to check your ammonia.  NitrItes are 0 in all tanks.

dan2x38

KLKelly your saying the Levamisole caused the spikes? This good to know. If you need some sponge to get the filter kicked back in gear let me know I can likely dig more up. Just did two sponges for others but like you I do double filtering.
Voltaire:

KLKelly

Its scary for me with high ph and not being able to use well water from the tap.  I've had my RO unit set up for a few weeks and luckily had 50 gallons for the two worst tanks and Prime.  If it weren't for the ammonia alert card today I never would have known.  I wonder why NitrItes aren't showing though.  The only tank that got dosed with levamisole that isn't showing ammonia has three extremely small goldfish fry.  All together probably the size of a neon tetra in it (with an AC20).   And I did only go with the 1ml/gallon 500ml stock solution.

dan2x38

With no NO2 I am wondering if this is more than a mini cycle. Did you test NO3 before & after a WC. You know what those readings will show.
Voltaire:

KLKelly

i tested all the water before a water change.  I haven't had an ammonia blip in a couple years. Fish will be breathing Prime water for the next few days so I hope its just a blip.  I can't make RO water fast enough so I have to set up the well water trickle bin which will erase all the progress we've made in using reconstituted RO water for the last three weeks.  My well water is evil.

KLKelly

I didn't test for NitrAte but I will this morning on the worst tank.

pcole6765

This sounds very similar to what's happening in my tank. The ammonia and PH were high with no signs out Nitrate or Nitrite, however now there are signs of Nitrite. We're losing a fish every few days. I've been doing frequent small water changes and using prime and it doesn't seem to be working. The PH is coming down though.

dan2x38

KLKelly I have some blackwater it is pH 5.5 maybe even lower. It is mature water too. I have about 20 gallons you can have a batch if you want. It takes me 2 days to filter a full bin to pH 5.5. It has tannins in it but that would never hurt your Goldies at all.
Voltaire:

Pistol_pete

That is weird. I had to treat on two occasions and I never had any fluctuations in my parameters. Did you mix your solution at 2 grams per 200ml of water or the 5 grams per 88ml ?

KLKelly

I used 1gram per 100mlwater. The way you did it. Thats why I was shocked when I saw the green on the ammonia test - I thought the ammonia alert card was getting old and acting up.  Maybe my biobugs are unique.

KLKelly

Did you guys even test after treating or did you just assume your tanks were fine and didn't test (like I would have)?