New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Reducing Nitrate Levels

Started by jimjoeb, February 13, 2020, 04:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimjoeb

I need to get my nitrate levels down to an acceptable range as quickly as possible before I lose anymore fish. I have one aquarium, a freshwater 50g tank, that has been established for over 15 years. I have been doing a weekly water change of 25-30%. I was overfeeding and may have over population. I've cut feeding in half and hope to maintain the current population. I had water tested at Big Als and everything was okay except the nitrate (blood red - off the scale). Since then, I have done 2 water changes (Friday and Tuesday). I tested the water again and it is still way too high. I added a biological treatment that is supposed to help to reduce nitrates after each water change.

What is the minimum amount of time to wait before doing a water change?

Any other tips?

Gowalkitoff

Add some fast growing low tech plants to help suck it up.  Hornwort, water wisteria, and water sprite are my go to favourites.  Hornwort is a fantastic floater and will grow really fast but is messy as heck if it wants to die.  My preference is water wisteria.  If you're in a rush, get the hornwort, I've had it grow an inch a day.  Once your levels stabilize then wean your tank to wisteria or sprite.

jimjoeb

I hadn't considered real plants. I currently use plastic ones because I don't have sufficient light. Would one of your suggestions survive in low light?

Gowalkitoff

As long as you have a light of ant kind, they will.  Do you have a pic of your tank?

HayleYoyo

When the nitrate is really high, water changes don't lower them as much as they would normally.

I'd add some Seachem Prime. It 'detoxifies' nitrate. So at least your fish will have a good time.

I'd small water changes more often until it comes down as well. Make sure to gravel vac around the area where you feed them. There might be a lot of detritus.

Also, rinse out your filter media in dechlorinated water. especially sponge or bags. Any food caught in there is going to raise your nitrates.

I wouldn't do any of these all at once (except the seachem, do that in conjunction with the others). Because they lower you BB a little. So you want to make sure it has time to replenish.

Mike L

jimjoeb

Thanks, everyone!

Most recent tests show that I'm heading in the right direction. Most important change is to stop feeding them so much! I'll check out the Seachem.

th3budd

Lots of Hornwort is a good idea. BTW, If you're doing frequent water changes should be aware that the pH level of city of Ottawa water has increased recently. I have seen it as high as eight or nine. It seems to have settled around 7.5 at this time.

Pastis

may I ask you how many and what kind of fish you have in this tank ?