New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Shrimp and Planorian Worms

Started by Bob_S, November 15, 2022, 03:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob_S

Started a 10 Gallon planted tank about two months ago since I am now on City Water.

Two weeks ago, I went out and got some red shrimp for the tank, currently have 3 and based on size and colour 2 females and a male. Yesterday all excided saw one tiny shrimp on sponge filter but have not seen it today. I had planned on getting more shrimp to establish a colony once the first group survived.

The problem is I have Planorian Worms in the tank, I made a trap and was able to catch 3 or 4 each day and I would pick any off the glass with tweezers. Works but does not look very good.

My question is should I continue doing this, from what I have read they and their offspring can last a long time and will I get all of them.

The Chemical alternative "No Planoria" can be used and it will also kill any snails, that's' not an issue as I picked up some pond snails with the plants.

How have others handled this?

Also, should I be using a feeding dish for shrimp?

Thanks;
Bob
120g  Yellow Labs, PS Socolofi,  Neolomprologus leleupi , compressiceps Chaitika
30g Albino Pleco's
30g Planted, 10g cherry shrimp

lucius

I've used No Planaria and it works well.  I think I had to do two treatments about a week apart.

I think some people use a feeding dish to prevent food debris from sinking into their substrate.  It doesn't bother me so I don't use one.

Bob_S

Great thanks for the information.

bob
120g  Yellow Labs, PS Socolofi,  Neolomprologus leleupi , compressiceps Chaitika
30g Albino Pleco's
30g Planted, 10g cherry shrimp