New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Looking for Established Filter Media

Started by Raeiika, June 11, 2023, 12:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raeiika

Hi all,

I've had an 11 gallon running since May 20th with a Matten filter (live plants, driftwood from a previous old tank (boiled) and dragonstone). It was initially dosed with a bottle of Tetra Safe Start. I've been doing a 25% water change weekly but perhaps this isn't enough?

The parameters I'm getting still are:
1.0 ppm Ammonia
0.50ppm Nitrite
10ppm Nitrate

I use Seachem Prime for water changes and about a week ago, started to get hair algae so perhaps I've had lights on too long. Today, I added a sprinkle of fish food to the water to see if that helps any. I haven't provided any other ammonia source prior.

I'm thinking everything is a bit out of whack so I'm looking to go the route of getting a handful of someone's established filter media to seed mine to smooth things along so I can get some shrimp in there. It would be great if anyone is by the Ikea as I don't currently have a vehicle (what the heck car prices?).

Please let me know the cost and if you would be able to drop by with it :)

For fun, I've added a photo of the first planted day (May 25) until today.

Other notes, using Landen Aqua Soil Substrate with just some sand on top only at the front.