New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cool down water from a broken heater (fast?)

Started by Troy, October 21, 2003, 12:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

I have a broken heater that has raised the temp in my tank into the mid 90's. My cichlids are at the surface and I have done one quick water change changing 10% of the water with cold tap water and conditioner. I took out the heater and the tank already has an air stone in it with a power head and second filter. The question is how fast do I cool the tank All the cichlids are adult Mbuna 6 to 8 inches two are staying by the surface, I know I will have to do a water change again soon to get them to a safe water temp but How fast :?:  I do not want to shock the and stress them with a huge water temp swing But I do not want to wait to long.... or else suffer big loses :(  so guys give me your suggestions.   :idea:   I am planning on 10% every 20 minutes for a few hours
Cheers..... Troy.

ambushman2j

personally I would not worry about it, my uncle had his tanks naturally go above 90 this summer and all that happened to him was his fish started breeding!.. I would say just let it drop naturally

vpilieci

I agree with the above... besides if you drop it too fast you'll end up with a real bad case of ick!

VP

Troy

24 hrs later, I have 2 new heaters and all my cichlids are still alive. :)  Not sure there were no ill effects from the high water temp/ heat but I can only watch and hope. Cheers..... Troy.