New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

planted african tank

Started by kyonis, November 17, 2006, 12:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyonis

Hi,

I cam across some pic's for planted African tanks and they are amazing.

you can see the tank at:
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/enlarge.php/2289

also check the view more pic option at the bottom of the page.

I think it is a really nice setup and also good for the fish.

We have a large number of African cichlids keepers/breeder here so I was wondering if any have a planted African tank. And if yes how would you rate it's success and what do you have in it?

kyonis

should I take it that no one here had ever planted a cichlid tank or that no one had any success??  ??? ;D

damarech

This is a very involved subject Just google "Planting aquariums Or follow this link, would be a good start .
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-24.pdf
Good luck

darkdep

Planting a cichlid tank is an exercise in frustration if you're really into plants.  You can sort of do it, with some tricks, and the right plants, but the plants will not look great for long.

I'm sticking to Java fern right now because it's fairly resistant to cichlid digging and picking.

Allay

Has anyone tried potting their plants?

Allay

bitterman

RoxyDog has her tank planted a bit... Java Fern and Anubias looks VERY nice!!

cory

Its hell trying to get plants to stay in the gravel. I gave up! My fish are interior designers. I also find it hard to keep plants from being eaten. I know their are kinds like anubus,oinion grass, etc. Just thought i would add that! Its not impossible, just stressful!

kennyman

I have an extensive collonly of Vallisneria in my Malawi tank but the fish keep it pruned down. The P. elongatus I have are listed as Intermediate zone species so they would frequent sandy flats at the edge of the rocky bottoms and shores. I tried to set my tank up that way with sand substrate added around a 60 lb pile of limestone rubble. I put about 10 vallis in at each end and it has spread to cover much of the sandy bottom. I used this plant because it was listed as the main species found in the aquarium industry that occurs naturally in L Malawi. There are now perhaps 100 plantlets mostly connected by runners but like I said they are around 2"-3" in height. It has been stable like this for many months now. The tank was setup over a year ago so things are settled. I don't expect much to change.

I do have a Javafern stuck in there right now because ther is nowhere else for it to go. The fry love it and are always hanging out there and so does the Syno.

RoxyDog

I just pruned down my java, but I still have lots of it, anubias, val and african fern.  the fish mostly leave it all alone so far, but my lights are kinda brutal for growing anything.  :(
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.