New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Today's the day!! (Because I have to choice)

Started by Muad'Dib, March 23, 2021, 03:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muad'Dib

Well I finally managed to finish the plumbing on the main 50Gal aquarium. And not a moment too soon.
I didn't put water in last night because I wanted to let the PVC cement cure and off gas for 24 hours first.
However at 10:30 last night my Girlfriend comes up and tells be there's water on the floor in the basement and one of the tanks sounds funny.
I run downstairs to discover the 10 Gal isolation tank has burst a seam. At the freakin bottom... so it would have emptied completely, as it was it had already lost about 4 gal.

I immediately pulled all filtration and decor out so I could net the fish. Moved everyone to the 12 Gal. (I now have 19 fish in a 12 gal tank.... WAY to many)

So the plan this evening is to fill the 50 Gal. (it also has a 40 gal sump) move all of my cycled filters to the sump so it can seed the Bio filter in it, and move the fish to the 50 Gal.
Not the best process, but there is no way I can keep the Nitrates down in the 12 Gal hospital tank without doing massive water changes daily.

I'll have to monitor the water quality daily, but I think with the existing filters, and the use of SeaChem Prime and Fritz Zyme 7 I can get the new Bio filtration running quickly.

Wish me luck.
Dean
50 Gal Main aquarium w/ 40gal sump for filtration - Currently housing 19 cichlids.
4 - Labidochromis caeruleus - Electric Yellow Labs
5  - Cynotilapia Afra White Top "Hara Reef"
4 - Aulonocara sp. "OB " - Orange Blotch Peacock Cichlid
3 - Protomelas taeniolatus (Likoma Is.) Tangerine Tiger Cichlid
3 - Otopharynx Lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) - Aristo Yellow Blaze Cichlid
12 Gal grow tank - 40 + OB Peacock, Electric Yellow Labs, Hara Reef Afras Fry + maybe a Yellow Blaze Litho Fry or 2

charlie

Muad'Dib

Quote from: charlie on March 23, 2021, 06:44:53 PM
Good luck

Thanks Charlie.
I got the tank filled last night. but didn't move the fish because it was too cloudy. I wasn't able to wash the CaribSea sand enough. 
I figure a couple of days of running through the filter will clear that.
I also discovered a drip from one of the plumbing joints. (not one I did..  :-D  ) just need to tighten a thread. but because its on the far side, I have to move another cabinet next to the tank to get at it.
I also have to sort out a heater. the one I have is only 150W and can't keep the tank and sump temp up. So I think I need a heater in each. Will be stopping by after work to see you.

I did a 50% water change on the isolation tank in the meantime to keep the Nitrates down.
50 Gal Main aquarium w/ 40gal sump for filtration - Currently housing 19 cichlids.
4 - Labidochromis caeruleus - Electric Yellow Labs
5  - Cynotilapia Afra White Top "Hara Reef"
4 - Aulonocara sp. "OB " - Orange Blotch Peacock Cichlid
3 - Protomelas taeniolatus (Likoma Is.) Tangerine Tiger Cichlid
3 - Otopharynx Lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) - Aristo Yellow Blaze Cichlid
12 Gal grow tank - 40 + OB Peacock, Electric Yellow Labs, Hara Reef Afras Fry + maybe a Yellow Blaze Litho Fry or 2