New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

May Executive Elections

Started by garnpet, April 17, 2011, 09:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garnpet

OVAS Executive elections are coming up in May! This is one of the best ways to give something back to the club.  If you want to know more about a position, feel free to pm the person currently in that position to get more info.

The elections will be held during the May General Meeting on May 16, 2011.  All OVAS Members are eligible to run for a position and vote during the election.  Voting is at the meeting only.

If you want to run for a position add your your name in the real world, the position for which you have decided to run, and if you so choose, a brief blurb as to why you would be a good candidate for that particular position. 

Please reserve this thread for self-nominations for the election.

Names on this thread received by May 15th at 10:00 p.m. will be entered on the elections ballot, anyone declaring to run for a position after the deadline will be added manually to the ballot at the time of the election.  Nominations will be accepted at the meeting.

Here are the positions and their roles.

The President shall:
•   Act as an official representative and spokesperson for OVAS.
•   Seek to ensure that the other Officers and the Executive carry out their duties, but this does not imply that the President must assume the duties of any Officers who are absent or derelict in their duties.
•   Chair all Executive meetings and membership meetings, and serve as an ex-officio member of all OVAS committees.

The Vice-President shall:
•   Assist the President in carrying out all of his or her duties.
•   Act for the President, in the President's absence or at the request of the President.

The Treasurer shall:
•   Keep a complete and accurate record of the financial transactions of OVAS and make these available to the Executive at all reasonable times.
•   Prepare an annual financial statement for the approval of the Executive and the membership.
•   Ensure the safekeeping of OVAS' financial assets.
•   Attend to correspondence and records relating to OVAS' finances.

The Secretary shall:
•   Ensure minutes of all Executive meetings, and Annual General Meetings, are prepared and distributed to the Executive.
•   In collaboration with the President, attend to correspondence to and from OVAS and the OVAS Executive.
•   Maintain a complete record of all minutes, correspondence, and business records of OVAS from the last seven years.

The Membership Chair Shall:
•   Maintain a current and complete record of all members, and make it available to the Executive at all reasonable times.
•   Collect membership fees and provide them to the Treasurer, with a reconciliation of the fees collected and the membership list.
•   Promote membership in OVAS.

The Corporate and Public Affairs Chair shall:
•   Help the Membership Chair increase the membership of OVAS
•   Seek advertising revenue for OVAS
•   Seek business contacts to promote OVAS and OVAS activities, and seek sponsorships and other tangible ways of increasing the financial soundness of OVAS.

The Program Chair shall:
•   Develop and recommend to the Executive ideas for OVAS meetings.
•   Develop contacts in the aquarium hobby, and hence develop a list of potential speakers for OVAS events.
•   Make arrangements for the smooth running of OVAS meetings.

The Newsletter Editor shall:
•   Be responsible for the regular publication of the OVAS newsletter.
•   Edit the newsletter, using judgement as to the suitability of submitted articles.
•   Be responsible for all equipment and supplies associated with the publication of the newsletter.

The Breeders/Aquatic Horticulturalist Awards Program Chair shall:
•   Promote, provide, maintain, and make available to the General Membership and the Executive the society rules and standards for the Breeder Award Program (BAP) and Aquatic Horticulturalist Award Program (AHAP).
•   Update and maintain accurate records of participation in the BAP/AHAP.
•   Award points for captive reproduction of species and supporting materials as provided in the BAP/HAP rules.
•   Advise the Executive and the General Membership of any certificates or memberships earned per season.

The Library Chair shall:
•   Maintain the OVAS Library in good condition.
•   Ensure that library requests are fulfilled at each General Meeting.
•   Ensure that articles loaned from the library are returned in good condition and in a timely manner.
•   Ensure that materials are loaned only to current OVAS members.
•   Make periodic suggestions for further acquisitions for the library.
•   Promote the use of the library's resources

The Auction Chair shall:
•   Organize and run the monthly auctions and Giant auction.
•   Provide appropriate documentation to the Treasurer at the close of each auction for audit purposes
•   Maintain an accurate list of all current auction statistics

The Social Convener shall:
•   Highlight and promote the social aspects of the society
•   Organize the society's social events such as the Annual Barbeque
•   Supply appropriate refreshments at the monthly meetings and other OVAS events
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

Brent Shaver

Due to scheduling conflicts at work and club events I will not be re-running for Vice President this up coming year.

I want to thank everyone that supported me in the past elections and thanks the Exec for a great year.

freshfishies

I would like to run for the BAP/HAP Chair again.

I have almost completed the club's new binder for all members to have access to the breeding and horticulture programs, as well as information on CAOAC.
I am also working with KWAS & CAOAC to develop a new and improved Marine Achievement Program that will include Coral Reproduction.

I believe I have been keeping up to standard with the programs' needs, and have been providing appropriate information in a timely manner to those who have been in need of information and/or forms.

My only 'regret' is that I may not always be available to attend meetings due to our family schedules; but I can promise to still provide our members, and forum members, with the information they need to get their deserved points, as well as, promote the growth and development of our programs.

In the event that someone else is elected, I will be more than happy to share my developments and pass along any information I can to help them out.

Jasmine Landriault :)

Nerine

I am putting my name in to run again for OVAS Corporate and Public Relations Chair! I have made some contacts over the year and would like to continue strengthening my relationship with them and promoting OVAS to the community.
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

wandmangels

Anja

My workload is leaving me less and less time to work on the newsletter these days, so I won't be running again in the foreseeable future. I've enjoyed it though, and might try again when/if things calm down. In the meantime - it's all yours.  ;)
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

irene

I will not be running again for president this coming year.  I did have a great time this though, the exec. team was super and so was the club! 

Unfortunately, I am finding it increasingly difficult to find the time to attend the meetings.

Irene

White Lightning

I figure that I will give it another go. Auction chair that is....

Randy Moar

washefuzzy

I will be running for OVAS Librarian again. I enjoy making the books available to our members.
In the past I've owned two book stores and volunteered for local libraries.

Joyce Landry
OVAS Librarian.

ajm1961

I am placing my "hat in the ring" for Newsletter Editor.
My name is André Martin. I have been an OVAS member for the past two and half years.
Related experience and education:
- Currently managing a divisional newsletter at Canadian Blood Services
- Have written various articles for internal newsletters throughout my career.
- Have also contributed an article for the OVAS newsletter (Fall 2010 issue)
- Have experience with, and access to, a suite of Adobe publishing tools and a digital camera to help make the publications as professional looking as possible.
- I hold a B.A. in Social Communications from Ottawa University.
My goal is to publish at least two newsletters a year, depending on member contributions and interest.
See you all at the May meeting. Cheers!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

robt18

As a part of my effort to give back to the club, I would like to run for Vice-President.

As my school year has just ended, I will now (and next year) be free on monday nights and able to volunteer in an in-person position.

I have been a member of OVAS for a couple years now and a fish keeper for over a decade. I also work at Big Al's east as many of you know, which has allowed me to get to know many of you on a personal basis. Fish keeping is a huge part of my life, and I love the hobby and the hobbyists.

I have gotten to know OVAS as a buyer and a seller, an information giver and receiver, a freshie and a salty, a breeder, a sponsor and a site moderator. I want to do what I can to keep OVAS on the right track, and advance the club and the hobby.

I am also nearly done my Bachelor of Commerce degree, and I feel my business-related background will help the club in a long-term focus position.

For these reasons I feel I am fit to be the club Vice-President.

Thanks,

Rob Thompson

Fishnut

I've just started "officially" as Program Director and I would love to continue. 

I already have several great contacts in the aquarium industry, who I plan on hitting up for talks for next season's meetings and I'll be making even more contacts at this year's CAOAC convention.  Last year I didn't do much talking at the CAOAC convention because I was more than happy to absorb all the information from all these fantastic fish keepers who have been very successful in accomplishing MUCH more than I have time to attempt.  I'll likely do the same this year only I'll be asking these amazing people to come to Ottawa!

I know the salt water side of the hobby needs as much attention as any other aspect so I've already made a fabulous contact with someone who is ready and willing to make a trip to Ottawa for a major salty talk!  He's all ready to book as soon as I get re-elected ;).  Don't worry salt water people...I'm not planning on stopping at one speaker on salt water :)

I network for a living and now I'm networking for OVAS...which is way more fun because I get to talk fish!  We have a great club here so I intend to keep the momentum of the positive atmosphere going in our club meetings.  I have lots of ideas so please give me your vote to continue!

Cheers
Sylvia

P.S. I almost forgot to add that if I'm elected we'll be getting a new sponsor...hint...it's in Toronto and they sell fish :)

robt18

Since we are getting closer to election day and no one is running for president yet, I'll offer to run for the position in hopes that we can fill the executive during the election and someone will run for VP.

Reasons for running for president same as previously stated ;)

Rob Thompson

garnpet

Just a reminder that the elections will be held on Monday the 16th of May at the monthly general meeting.

For those interested the Exec meet once a month (usually the 2nd Monday) for about 90 minutes to discuss club business.  If you have any questions please PM me or any of the current Exec.

garnpet

We are still looking for people to run for Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary and Membership.  Nominations can be made at the meeting on Monday night.

Please note that if you are going to nominate someone they must be present at the meeting to accept or reject the nomination.

Please bring your OVAS membership card to vote.