New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

The Boombappers Solana, Boombap!!

Started by Vincenzo., February 08, 2010, 10:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vincenzo.

I think it was from initial move i missed 1 step and screwed myself... I was a idiota and did not rinse the LS.. And to top it off i had DSB in both tanks..so i could imagine the toxins....therefore wiping out some corals, and what did make it was in rough shape....

Then  to make it worse i had a diy carbon filter / holder for my carbon..the other day i noticed my return was not pushing out that hard..looked in the rear chamber my carbon bag was being sucked into the return pump... Idk if thats a huge problem but im sure its more carbon than the tank needs..

In the end i just think the tank had a serious cycle, from my 1 mistake...i was rushing to get the 2 tanks into 1 over a sat & sun... I should have taken my time and remembered to rinse..when trina quoted me a few pages back it clicked instantly..

But i got a new plan, lol take my time, i say 3 months and we should be back at'er again..

alongfortheride

Hey Vince,
Sorry to hear that things have gotten even worse on the tank front. :(
My advise is to dump the old gravel, put in some new Aragonite and go with a shallower sandbed too ;)

Overtime as the aragonite gets clogged, the pH buffering capaticy is reduced. Your old gravel isn't able to absorb phosphates as well either. This is why the crazy germans replace their sandbeds yearly :)

I personally like shallow sand beds ( I am sure fishdaddy might chime in here ;)) , even over barebottom, but make sure to keep it well stocked with Nassarius and Cerith to keep the gravel as spotless as possible - even in my cardiff with a deeper sandbed than I would like to have for my Blue Spot.

Vincenzo.

well everything is in hospital tank thats alive. buncha hermits, snails, urchin, tiger pistol, zoas & rics.

all LR is being 'cooked' - i let half the batch sit in tap water for 10 minutes, then the other half sit for 10 min ... the water that was in the pail after both batches was purple. with all sorts of weird stuff dead too.

and Seriously, who knew that the sand bed held SOOOOO much crap, i rinsed about 8 times, and it's STILL NOT clean. not even close. i need to finish it later.

need to refill the tank with just tap water, scrape algae, clean, clean skimmer.

set plumbing up. (its all made, i just need to glue it)

work on sump. maybe try and maximize all space i have under.

win lottery.

get new stuff like:
21 Stage RO/DI
New 150w Lamp (better yet, a LED fixture)
mp20 or better yet mp40
in sump skimmer
reactors
dosing system
RKE

^^ again, this is ONLY after i win lottery.

johnrt

"get new stuff like:
21 Stage RO/DI"

OK, that would be about 9 RO/DIs (remember, there is no need to use the carbon filters after the first unit as the chloromide is gone) run in series, with each one running at a 3:1 waste to product ratio on a good 100 gallon / day base unit yielding about 5.46 ml / day gold standard, pristine, six nines water - look, I did the math, not necessarily correctly, but I did it - . . .

. . . and after waiting about 17 years to fill the tank (allow for evaporation),. . .

. . . then a single speck of dust blows in and contaminates it all to hell.

Not bad for one sentence, with tolerable punctuation, but I will bow to corrections.

Vincenzo.

John, u just had to be the smart _ _ _ (fill in the blank) .. But ya i need a good ro/di

Sharbuckle

Vincenzo.

Well.... Rock is being cooked, still. Plumbing is all cut to size and fitted. Need to glue. Its been tested im my tub and all works. After i glue it ill paint it black, atleast the half in the tank. I want to buy a ball valve for the flow, just in case. Drilled stand for pvc to rrun through. Created a holder for my filter sock. (thx pat for the idea) I have a plastic rubbermaid sump, i have the baffles, not installed..but im second guessing to get a old 20g glass tank for sump, not sure yet.....need to buy a new bag of arag...have a 5stage ro/di on hold for me... Im not sure what else....just waiting on rock to cook. I would love to sell it all and pick up some nice stuff at OI, threre is a 30+ lbs single rock im lovin'. It would solve any problem of rock slides a single lrg piece. But again not sure if i want to.

Vincenzo.

update..

the mess in the man cave is starting to annoy the wifey, so..
i started gluing plumbing - Finally.
drilled my stand for plumbing to run through
got some strapping, more pvc, fittings, (still need a ball valve)
trying to sell - MH + T5 - to upgrade to LED
trying to sell all LR - and buy 1 piece to fill the tank.

Severum

Take advantage of the long weekend and get that tank started!!! I want to hear a full update at SS!
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef