New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

sw tank

Started by Julie, November 22, 2005, 09:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie

Just ludicrous :wink:

(sure rub it in  :D )

Julie

Insane79

I don't have a skimmer on my 20 gallon, and never have had a problem that would be related to not having one.  I don't keep hard corals, mostly cause the lighting would give me boiled nemos!  If I kept hard corals, then a skimmer is a must. the 65watt lights you have won't be suitable for hard corals anyways.  Give things a try without and then decide.  My tank is about umm....2.5 years old I think, and it does very well without a skimmer.

Insane79

the tank look awesome by the way! Koodos to you, you did a great job!

Julie

Thanks for the compliments everyone. :)
Insane - do you have any pics of your tank?

Julie

Glenn

Definately looking good!

Glenn

Insane79

I'll try and take some.  I find it so hard to get pics that really does the tank justice.

Mr. Ugly (aka lawnmower blenny) died last night.  We had him for a really long time.  He got sick and died pretty fast.  Nothing had been added/changed in a long time.  I think it is just one of those things.  My son is not too pleased that "his" Mr. ugly died.  Man, this guy was quite the algae eater.  He will be missed!

Nelson

Quote from: "Insane79"I'll try and take some.  I find it so hard to get pics that really does the tank justice.

Mr. Ugly (aka lawnmower blenny) died last night.  We had him for a really long time.  He got sick and died pretty fast.  Nothing had been added/changed in a long time.  I think it is just one of those things.  My son is not too pleased that "his" Mr. ugly died.  Man, this guy was quite the algae eater.  He will be missed!

I as looking at one the other day...once the algae becomes scarce, what do they eat?

DARKPHREAK

They always pick stuff off the rocks and if you dont clean the glass they'll suck that also.

93GTCANADA

i am running skimmerless on my 10 g and dont have problems so far. my bioload is still on the light side but only time will tell. i do water changes once a week. what r the future plans for the tank julie. and nelson which skimmer did u get from ray the prism with the mod ?

Nelson

Quote from: "93GTCANADA"i am running skimmerless on my 10 g and dont have problems so far. my bioload is still on the light side but only time will tell. i do water changes once a week. what r the future plans for the tank julie. and nelson which skimmer did u get from ray the prism with the mod ?

I don't which skimmer you're referring to...the one I bought is 3" tall with one venturi and a fairly large collection cup with overflow.  Don't think there are any mods to it.

Julie

I'm checking out a cpr bak pack from Ray though I'm not positive I really need it.   I know about the larger skimmer options but my space is very limited in this former microwave cupboard.  

I'm going to try everything in there including an sps, tank is not very deep so that is an advantage lighting wise.

Larger tanks are already here with fresh, fish are all relatively young except 2 discus tanks, alot of them are around 3-4 yrs.
The 90 bow is extremely deep and not sure how easy it would be and accessible as a sw set up.  I can't reach the bottom with my hand, I have to use tools.

Julie

Nelson

Quote from: "Nelson"
Quote from: "93GTCANADA"i am running skimmerless on my 10 g and dont have problems so far. my bioload is still on the light side but only time will tell. i do water changes once a week. what r the future plans for the tank julie. and nelson which skimmer did u get from ray the prism with the mod ?

I don't which skimmer you're referring to...the one I bought is 3" tall with one venturi and a fairly large collection cup with overflow.  Don't think there are any mods to it.

After checking out Prism skimmers I now know what you're referring to 93GTCANADA and no, it's not that one.  Here's a pic of the one I got from Ray, to the right of the sump.

93GTCANADA

very nice nelson. ray is a great guy to deal with. i use him all the time.

Nelson

Quote from: "93GTCANADA"very nice nelson. ray is a great guy to deal with. i use him all the time.

The best :wink:

DARKPHREAK

Sorry to bump into your thread Julie...

Nelson, are those BioBalls in your sump? NitrATE factory, not good for a SW setup.

Julie

The nerve of you Dark  :wink:
I noticed when I used the combined foam/charcoal on my whisper hob the nitrates increased also.  I only use a plain carbon now and then.

Julie

93GTCANADA

ive been using a sponge in my filter but i wash it every week and change it every month. is this good. and my other question is can i change my carbon every month or its bad to run carbon all the time.

Julie

Remember guys the live rock is your main filtration, not whats in the hob.  I wouldn't use a sponge at all, if you want to polish just use maybe some filter floss but don't leave it in there.

Julie

93GTCANADA

so the sponge will harm my tank all my levels are at 0 so i havent notice anything yet.

Julie

Just not sure what the purpose of the sponge is other than to trap stuff.

Julie