New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

sw tank

Started by Julie, November 22, 2005, 09:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie

gator

I use bio-balls in my sump - and my system has ZERO nitrates.

93GTCANADA

Nelson

Quote from: "DARKPHREAK"Sorry to bump into your thread Julie...

Nelson, are those BioBalls in your sump? NitrATE factory, not good for a SW setup.

Yes they are and another example of varying opinions in the hobby.  I've read opinions that don't don't buy into the "nitrate factory" theory and those that do.  You're not the first "local" to tell me it's a bad thing - you won't see them in the next shot.  I will be adding crushed coral to my sump - how deep should I go do you think?

I also hope you're not upset with this dialogue Julie - could start another if you wish.

redbelly

Nice pics Julie!
its nice to see your tank coming along so well.

93GTCANADA

im no means an expert but i wouldnt add crush coral in the sump i would use live sand.

Nelson

Quote from: "93GTCANADA"im no means an expert but i wouldnt add crush coral in the sump i would use live sand.

You're right - I used the wrong term.

Julie

No not at all, I'm curious about it myself.  Is there actual bacteria which would colonize a foam or bio balls - not sure on this one?

Nelson: where did you get Nemo?

Julie

gator

Quote from: "Nelson"
Quote from: "93GTCANADA"im no means an expert but i wouldnt add crush coral in the sump i would use live sand.

You're right - I used the wrong term.

Live sand is nothing but crushed coral that has been cycled ... don't pay good $$$ on "live" sand, it's nothing but a marketing hoax....

Nelson

Quote from: "Julie"No not at all, I'm curious about it myself.  Is there actual bacteria which would colonize a foam or bio balls - not sure on this one?

Nelson: where did you get Nemo?

Julie

Got them BA (west I believe) - $20 per  Outstanding little fish, the kids get a kick out of them.  I'm very curious about the way they and some other sw fish swim, they don't move in the stiff manner that we're used to seeing freshwater swim.  The behave like they're not restricted by a skeleton!

Julie

Do you know what they keep their salinity at?

Julie

93GTCANADA

i keep mine at 1.025. my clown is awsome as soon i put my hand in the tank he touches it. i can even pet him lol. the wife loves the little guy. he is a small ocellaris. he sleeps on my mag float.

Nelson

Quote from: "Julie"Do you know what they keep their salinity at?

Julie

It's quite low.  I had to drip them for several hours before putting them in the tank.  The logic as explained to me is that the lower salinity is some protection against disease in a fish only tank.

DARKPHREAK

I wouldnt put CC or any sand in the sump. Throw a few peices of liverock in there and that should be enough. Remember "quality" liverock is the most important part of the system.

gkilla

I have a sump/fuge combo. It has crushed coral that I took from the main tank along with 5lbs of liverock. It also has 3 different types of macro algae. I might even put fish in there also.

Insane79

I don't know about keeping sps without metal halides julie.  They need an awful amout of light and I don't think, no matter how shallow your 20 gallon is, there won't be enough with power compacts.

Here is some pics of my tank, as awful as they are...hope this works.......

IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/insane79/harley022.jpg[/IMG]

[/img]

Insane79

umph, one didn't work, let's see if I can add it....
and a side note, my silly torch corals (front right and back right on the pics in the other post)weren't open in the pic (the shrimp had been playing in them, so they close up and usually take awhile to reopen.  Once open torch corals are super cool.  Just like anemones!

Julie

Nice tank!!!!  Can you name a few things in there, I know some but not all, like mushrooms and other softies.
What is the yellow on the left hand side?
I have a candy cane frag for about 3 weeks now and it is doing ok so far.

Julie

Insane79

the yellow on the left and on the right for that matter (just sorta budding on the big rock at the bottom) are yellow polyps.  These things reproduce like snails!!  Bottom left is my galazy coral, in all it's monstrousity.  I have purple mushrooms and carpet mushrooms, and 2 torches, and a feather duster that isn't really out (you got to get those guys at just the right moment!- it's under the purple mushrooms.  In the center-bototm is the beloved barnacle.  Obviously not a real one, but a hollow one that the clown fish absolutely adore.  They live in there.  I have 2 pumps to keep the water flowing.  One small and one bigger.  And then the usual inverts and such.

gkilla

hmm...wouldn't be selling some of those carpet mushrooms? Here is my tank at 1 month.