New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Setting up a planted tank for my sons class.

Started by Slipper, November 07, 2018, 06:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slipper

After the large goldfish in my sons junior elementary class died.
I offered his teacher to plant the classes 10 gallon tank. Instead of the blue clown puke filled goldfish torture chamber setup.
She gladly agreed. So two weeks ago on a Friday morning myself and the first year students(about 8 kids) of the class. Cleaned and sanitized everything with vinegar, prepped the substrate ( 1" of soil capped with traction pebbles),  revamped the hob 10 gallon filter with a prefilter sponge and filled the rest with some media( if anyone has any other filter pimpin advice it that would be great) threw out the carbon pack. And then very very slowly I added the water. After we were an 1/8 full I let the kids each add a snail, the boys had to settle for the ramshorns while the girls had the massive  honour of adding the "unicorn horn"(mts)  snails. This helped to distract the kids as they kept track of their snails. While I added the rest of the water.  Thats how it stands now. I am going to add some plants from my tanks on this friday.  Then add some of my neos or a half dozen white clous minnows. Maybe some guppies. It would be great to have some breeding in the tank. That is the best way to hook you into the hobby. Nothing cooler than having baby fish or shrimp.

Slipper

I have added three types of plants to the aquarium. Ludwigia, Rotala and Wisteria. So hopefully with the AWFUL lighting everything can hang on. I will add some of my java ferns after I de-algea them.  While I adding the plants, one of the older boys in the class came and told me that the "live plants would help keep the water clean".  Smart kid.

matttimms49

Thanks for the update, sorry for the slow reply to this it's been a busy couple of weeks for me.

This is an amazing project and really great that you have taken this up. Have you decided what fish you are going to add to the tank?

What were the favourite plants among the children?

charlie

Kudos to you for doing this!!
Will be following this project and look forward to the progress updates.
Kind Regards

Box Jockey

I love projects like this, best way to kindle a lifelong interest in fishkeeping! 

Have you offered to help with maintenance of the tank? Form my own experience this has been the best way to maintain interest in my classroom tank project. I ask them questions every time I'm in and have them teach me about their tank.
Best of luck to you :)!
"You can't run from me! Oh, you *can* run from me! You keep surprising me." -- Tamatoa

Slipper

So far the snails are the stars of the tank.
I think the tank will get a small endangered live bearer. Sort of a multifaceted lesson. As far a the tank goes I am the maintenance dude. We are developing a chore schedule as well.  I do have a question for all the big brains out there.  Can I  condition water by leaving it out for say 24 hours? Instead of using "Prime". Or better question how can I condition water without chemicals? Does chloramine evaporate like chlorine?

charlie

Small brain  tells me  no lol.
Short answer is chloramine will not break down like chlorine.

Box Jockey

Chloramine is a tough nut to crack. You can use a carbon block filter like those used for RV's, or bring the water you want to treat to a rolling boil for 20min. In the end a good water conditioner is your best and cheaper option.
"You can't run from me! Oh, you *can* run from me! You keep surprising me." -- Tamatoa

tanksalot360

A water conditioner is your best option, for an all-in-one. Seachem Prime or SAFE are great options, but there are 5 different ones at every shop, even at discount/ department stores.

-If it's only chlorine, then you can make your own conditioner with sodium thiosulfate (500g/1gal and treat with 1ml/10gal), but it doesn't touch the chloramine.
-Boiling for 2 hours might evaporate the chloramine, but also the water.
-The reverse osmosis or inline carbon block filters used to trap chloramine (Pentek ChlorPlus) are usually 2-3x the price of a standard carbon filter. But when used, will extend the life of your RO membrane.

Slipper

Fine prime it is. I will just ask the teacher to store it up and away.