New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help me decide on fish?

Started by bandit, June 02, 2012, 11:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit

Well I am in need of some fish asap, I think I would like smaller guys. Any recomendations on some very active reef safe fish.  Here is a pic of my tank. Only fish I have are 2 clowns and watchmen goby. Tank is a 65g with 30g sump

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Severum

Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Malyon18

"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

Dakotamay

Quote from: Severum on June 02, 2012, 12:25:16 PM
A pair of purple firefish!

+1 on the fire fish. They are a nice addition to any tank. Make sure you have a tight fitting lid or egg crate though lol. They like to jump.

Also agree on the tail spot blenny.  Another I really like that we have and is active and busy about the tank is the McKosker's Wrasse.

bandit

I like the fire fish but my better half hates the way they swim. I'm leaning towards a flame angel and orchid dotty back maybe yellow wrasse. I like the Blenny idea, I used to have a bicolor Blenny and he was a hoot

vonG

the clowns might be aggressive towards the new addition(s)... so make sure they are tough enough to endure the acclimatization process....

that said, bi-colored blenny's are tough as hell.
purple dottyback, royal gramma.
longnose or flame hawkfish are cool as hell too, but need a proper lid or *bloop* on the floor they go!

watch out if you have small hermits/shrimp---- they will be lunch for a hawkfish.

Dakotamay

Do some research on purple dotty back and royal gramma's. They are known to be aggressive towards just about anything. We got a royal gramma from a fellow who had never had a problem with his being aggressive in his tank. He was shutting down and getting out of sw. We put the fish into our 110g tank and a few of our fish went missing. We weren't long finding out it was the royal gramma that had chased them and bullied them all into hiding. We caught the royal gramma and our tank returned to peaceful.

Emeraude1484

+1 on Bi-coloured blenny.  We got one a couple of weeks ago, put him in and the clowns immediately followed and bullied hime everywhere in the tank (the clowns NEVER stray far from the torch they host)  He now harasses them and sticks around stealing their food and lunging back at them whenever they try to push him away. :D

Hookup

Flame angel....  No question... 

bandit

Quote from: Hookup on June 02, 2012, 09:32:08 PM
Flame angel....  No question... 
well i love the fish and have always wanted one question is what will he pick on?

Achilles

Take a look at some of the reef safe wrasses, such as flasher or fairy. These are beautiful colouring and will constantly swim around the tank instead of just kind of hover in one spot. Just make sure to have a screen or something on the top of the tank so that they don't jump.

mchotdog

what about midas blenny? they are absolutely beautiful and are easy to take care of.

Hookup

Quote from: bandit on June 03, 2012, 01:09:51 AM
well i love the fish and have always wanted one question is what will he pick on?

Always the question...  I'll be adding one to my reef as soon as I can get the anthias out... 

bandit

I think im set on a flame angel, I really like that midas blenny also. I red a great article on keeping 2 flames together.

brotherluv

50% of the time a flame angel will pick on corals...

bandit

went to Aqua valley to get a tailspot and a orchid dottyback ended up getting a small royal gramma instead, funny :-\. I have my eye on a beautiful flame at marine scape. Also considering a flasher wrase pair but dont want to have to cover my tank. :(

Hookup

/whispers in ear...... FLAME ANGEL

kole18

Flame angel can pick up your corals, but if you have bigger tank like hookup I would take a risk cuz I knw my flame & potter angel didnt last in my tank due my tank aren't that bigger enough & ended up trading back to lfs. The bigger tank lots place to grace algae & sponge for dwarf angel would be ok. I'd like my sps so won't take any risk,  sure beautiful fish but I don't want to see tearing apart my tank cuz of 1 fish vs bunch of my corals ;D.

I've got tamarin, longfin, mystery wrasse & powder blue , rabbit fish, royal gramma, pair of clown (f-picasso, M-onyx) red cup goby, Midas blenny & my tank is 70g. I'd like to balance the color of my fish, yellow , blue , orange red etc....:)

DrReefer

Quote from: bandit on June 03, 2012, 04:47:04 PM
went to Aqua valley to get a tailspot and a orchid dottyback ended up getting a small royal gramma instead, funny :-\. I have my eye on a beautiful flame at marine scape. Also considering a flasher wrase pair but dont want to have to cover my tank. :(

Got one this weekend to !! nice calm fish to have in the tank :) hope you enjoy

Severum

I had a flame angel. It picked on corals.

A buddy has a bicolor blenny. It picks on corals.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef