New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plant Contest - Let the flaming begin!

Started by BigDaddy, October 25, 2005, 12:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDaddy

So... this will be the only thread where mild flaming will be tolerated (see my previous posting about netiquette)  :lol:

Status reports, pics, updates, go for it.

Marc

Status report:  I got home late last night and I was too lazy  to do anything with my plant so I just tossed into a tank and left it floating on top of the water.  It's still there now.

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Marc"Status report:  I got home late last night and I was too lazy  to do anything with my plant so I just tossed into a tank and left it floating on top of the water.  It's still there now.

BAHAHA.

Well, that makes two of us.   :lol:

Shouganai

I had to turn my tank lights on again to plant it. It went in my 65g.. its one of those tanks that is 24" tall. Of course, I'm too much of a shortie to reach the bottom of the tank, and I've never had much luck with those planting tongs or whatever, so I have to get my fiance to plant all my plants for me.  :lol:

He LOVES doing that I'm sure.. I'm all "ok, move a little further back, now left.. YOUR OTHER LEFT!" hehe.

mseguin

Mine is officially planted, although it seems to be confused about which way the light is coming from :-)

PaleoFishGirl

Quote from: "Shouganai"I had to turn my tank lights on again to plant it. It went in my 65g.. its one of those tanks that is 24" tall. Of course, I'm too much of a shortie to reach the bottom of the tank, and I've never had much luck with those planting tongs or whatever, so I have to get my fiance to plant all my plants for me.  :lol:

He LOVES doing that I'm sure.. I'm all "ok, move a little further back, now left.. YOUR OTHER LEFT!" hehe.

No no no, not those snails, the ones at the bottom :D

Marc

Quote from: "Shouganai"I had to turn my tank lights on again to plant it. It went in my 65g.. its one of those tanks that is 24" tall. Of course, I'm too much of a shortie to reach the bottom of the tank, and I've never had much luck with those planting tongs or whatever, so I have to get my fiance to plant all my plants for me.  :lol:

*sigh* He's got it good.  Better plants than living room furniture.  :lol:

darkdep

Mine is sitting in a bucket along with the other plants I got at the Auction last night.  Hopefully one of my vacant 30's will host the plants today or tommorow.  

You know what rocks about shotgunning together a plant tank?  No cycling!  :lol:

rockgarden

I'm still designing the lighting set-up to put inside the designer canopy that I purchased a the auction. Nothing but the best will do for this contest :).

Ron

Julie

rockgarden

No the other Ron  :)

BTW Someone else from OVAS was hoping to bump into you at the meeting last night. Sorry, don't know who.

Ron

from Kanata

Julie

Someone moderated this thread.  A comment was removed.

Julie

Marc

Quote from: "rockgarden"No the other Ron  :)

BTW Someone else from OVAS was hoping to bump into you at the meeting last night. Sorry, don't know who.

Ron

from Kanata

That was Nelson.

Julie

Now I understand - he wanted to borrow my leather pants.

Julie

Marc

Quote from: "Julie"Someone moderated this thread.  A comment was removed.

Julie

Edit:  Art must of deleted his own post.

Julie

Anyways, what kind of crypts were they?

Julie

artw

I deleted my post because big daddy said we could flame,  but he didnt say we could threadjack :D

darkdep

Quote from: "rockgarden"I'm still designing the lighting set-up to put inside the designer canopy that I purchased a the auction. Nothing but the best will do for this contest :).

Ron

You'll never defeat the uber-kick-butt canopy/lighting I'm building for my experimental "learn how not to kill plants" tank.  A big ol' 2.666 evil watts per gallon!

BTW: To emphasize how little threat I am in this contest, I can report that I have just successfully killed Java Fern in one of my tanks.  I am officially lame.

squeeker

It's official.  My plant is already melting.

BigDaddy

Quote from: "squeeker"It's official.  My plant is already melting.

That's what you get for outbidding me! :twisted:

squeeker

Oh, no, bigdaddy, the anubias is doing GREAT! LOL

jgolden

Quote from: "darkdep"BTW: To emphasize how little threat I am in this contest, I can report that I have just successfully killed Java Fern in one of my tanks.  I am officially lame.
:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted: BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: J/K....

:wink: I wanna know how you did it.... :P

Toss

75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

PaleoFishGirl

Wow, mine looks almost exactly like that - except maybe even more wilted if that's possible  :P   Actually, the more I look, the better Toss's looks!

darkdep

jgolden: I tried to make it live.  That killed it.  

I've just set up one of my vacant 30gals as a plant tank.  We will see what happens with the Crypt...

rockgarden

With all that rock, you African lovers can have a crypt for your crypt - Oh that was terrible - Must have been brought on by Chicago scoring a run.

darkdep

hehe I think the fact that you're watching baseball is much funnier than your joke :lol:

Nelson

I hope everyone's enjoying the contest....would like to chat a bit longer but I've got a lot to do and I really should trim my plant back a bit :lol:

PaleoFishGirl

OUCH Nelson...

I've gotta say, mine has totally perked up since I posted this afternoon.  I think I even see a new leaf coming... no, but really, it looks better :D

Nelson

Quote from: "PaleoFishGirl"OUCH Nelson...

I've gotta say, mine has totally perked up since I posted this afternoon.  I think I even see a new leaf coming... no, but really, it looks better :D

I was kidding of course but my plant(s) are definitely showing some life.  A long way from award winners though :)

squeeker

mine has picked its leaves up OFF the gravel.  It looks like a plant now...

darkdep

You guys are all ahead of me (no surprise).  I've got my lighting almost built.  Hope the plant lasts till it's done.

garnpet

I finally got the silly thing planted this morning (took the day off work to play with the fish  :D )  

That's a BN pleco in front of the plant and a Yoyo loach and a cherry barb in the background.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

Julie

Is it a crypt?  How come your pleco is upside down?

Julie

garnpet

The pleco is upside down cleaning the front glass of the tank.  It's just the angle of the picture that makes his look like he is "dead."  :roll:
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

squeeker

... and just when I thought my plant was perking up, I came home from work to find both the leaves had rotted off. Just great.

darkdep

I don't get it.  I've got a temp 15watt light above my planted tank while I build a light hood, and my crypt hasn't rotted at all yet.  

Hmm.  Maybe I'm onto something...maybe crypts need to "root" in low light :)

darkdep

How are your crypts doing, folks?

I've just finished building a hood/lighting for my new plant tank, and just set up my first DIY CO2 setup.  Whee!  

Hoping all this will have a positive effect on my crypt :lol:

mseguin

Mine is doing okay, nothing spectacular but no rot either so far.

gvv

Nice crypt and I never saw these types of leaves before. Also the leaves have interesting surface texture... Glad to have it even if I will loose :)
Got 2 new leaves and was surprised that it didn't rot at first - usually crypts are very delicate and do not like pH changes, while I have very acid soft water.

Regards

jgolden

lol I lost 2 of 5 leaves in the 1st day; As of this morning, 2 of the remaining leaves are reaching for the top of the 10G (they're about 3 inches from the surface... Guess I'd better hurry and get 'em in a deeper tank, or risk disqualification!!!) Oh, and I think I saw 1 new shoot starting to break through the substrate this AM.

darkdep

WTH?  Your crypt has grown that much?  Wow.

jgolden

but it's long and stringy... i gotta figure out how to get it to fill out

mseguin

Needs more light, when a plant grows tall quickly its usually becuz its trying to get closer to the light. With plenty of light it will flesh out.

darkdep

What do you have for light at the moment Jeff?

Evan

don't the leaves on Crypts melt away and then regrow to suit their new lighting conditions?  If the lighting was different than there last home.

Everyone I have had lost leaves at the start and then regrew them quite fast.

Shouganai

Its weird - I've got about 3 types of crypts now, maybe 4.. and I've never had one rot on me, in either of my tanks.

darkdep

Mine started melting yesterday...I had it sitting in a tank with virtually no light for about 5 days, and it didn't melt at all.  Then as soon as the light came on, melt-away she did...

jgolden

Chris, the 10G has ~ 2.5 wpg on it, using a combination of a 13w spiral daylight bulb, and a 15w 18" T8 daylight bulb (:wink: hence the ~)...

BigDaddy

That would be a low light tank.

The WPG rule breaks down on 10 gallons, and using spirals instead of linears does too.

I have a 36 watt linear compact fluorescent over my 10 gallon... and it acts and behaves like a medium light tank (no CO2 required... weekly instead of daily ferts.... etc)

darkdep

BD: I just put 4 20w T12's over one of my 30gal...Would that be considered low or medium light?

How does one get "high light" over a 10g?

BigDaddy

Quote from: "darkdep"BD: I just put 4 20w T12's over one of my 30gal...Would that be considered low or medium light?

How does one get "high light" over a 10g?

That's a nice medium light tank.

And the high light 10s I've seen have had around 70 watts over 'em if memory serves.

PaleoFishGirl

Update - I finally have some new growth!  Also, the texture of these leaves is amazing!

mseguin

squeeker

darkdep

Me too!  First new leaf is popping out now!  (thank you Co2!)