New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Electric shock

Started by cdylnicki, April 18, 2013, 02:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdylnicki

Help!

I think something has shorted in my marine tank because I got little zaps when I put my finger in.  I had this happen in the past, threw out all old equipment... but then thought it was just the salt getting into small cuts on my hands because that hurts too!

I do not want to put my hand back in the tank to test this theory. 

How can I figure out if my tank is electric, and how can I figure out which piece of equipment it is?

exv152

What equipment do you have in the tank or touching the tank water?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

cdylnicki

Ok, just did process of elimination.  A read a site that said heaters tend to be the culprit.

I unplugged one power bar with the 2 heaters - stuck my finger in and no shock! 

Thankfully I have an extra heater hanging around, but Im super annoyed as both fluval heaters are only about a year old!  I don't want to test to find out which one, maybe I will see if Petsmart will take them both back.

I am curious why all fish heaters don't come 3 pronged? 

exv152

A lot of people nowadays are using inline heaters, like the hydor. No chance of this happening. ;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

cdylnicki

Excellent!  Thanks.  I will be looking to invest in a few of those!

cdylnicki

Any recommendations?  How can I add a shut off if it malfunctions (eg. higher then 82 it shuts off)

exv152

Quote from: cdylnicki on April 18, 2013, 06:30:09 PM
Any recommendations?  How can I add a shut off if it malfunctions (eg. higher then 82 it shuts off)

It shouldn't malfunction, it measures the heat of the water as it passes through the unit and you can adjust it. There are heater controllers sold separately as well if you're worried about overheating. Heater controllers can be used on any type of heater. The nice thing about the inline heater is you remove more equipment from the tank.

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOqIiS5Ny4c[/embed]
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g