New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I have a question...

Started by shannon333, February 12, 2013, 03:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shannon333

Hello,

Hows it going?
I was wondering, why are you banning people who leave thier opinion and/or are trying to help Ovas grow as a community by giving thier suggestions and ideas ?
Do you not want people to join?
Is this what you guys want? A close-knit group that no one is allowed in unless they are sheeple?

To me that isn't allowing the hobby of aquaria to grow, it just looks like Yous are degressing instead of progressing.

I'm on no ones side, I'm just wondering??

Cause so far all you've done is just divide the hobby into this group and that group.

Wouldn't Ovas benefit more if you open up all your forums to everyone, not just to members?
I know for a fact that it would benefit everyone. your revenue would go up, people would want to become apart of ovas and more info about the hobby would spread.

Like they say..
One group benefits another and V.S.

Haven't you ever wondered why they pair restaurants together? Its because they benefit each other.
Wendy's and Tim Hortons.
McDonalds and swiss Chalet.
Harveys and Dairy Queen.

Economics 101.
If you haven't gotten my point ,You never will.
I don't expect you to answer my questions.(and if you do it'll be defensive excuses)
You'll most likely ban me too.

shannon333

That seems a little harsh at the end.
Its not meant to be.

And no one start a fued please, this is only meant for Ovas.

No arguements, no opinions, no horrible-ness...

If there are nasty posts,  i'll have my answer as to why ovas keeps banning people.

Plain and simple, this is meant for ovas, no one else.

:0)

Fishnut

Plain and simple.  They did not abide by the rules of the forum.  Nothing more.  

You may not see it because we have great moderators who have deleted everything offensive.

Also, we have one pesky person who was banned for very good reasons and who creates a new forum name for himself almost every week...sometimes several times a day if he's being a royal pain. So you may be seeing him banned a lot because as soon as we identify the same IP address, the account gets banned.

Some people have nothing better to do I guess.  Sad waste of a life, really.  Meh...to each his own.

charlie

Thanks for your question, apart from what fishnut has stated in an attempt to give you a answer, if you know of anyone who was banned from this forum without breaking the rules that is posted on this forum but seldom read, please do provide the facts to us via e mail, PM or in person at our exec. meeting.
The exec is always open to hear the facts that you may have regardless of if you are a member ,non member - salty or freshie.
Looking forward to hearing from you in E mail,PM or in person
Charlie/Errol Choo
President

shannon333

That explains it.
All those bannings are basically just one person?!!
Wow!
I've talked to a few people that have been banned for opinions, links, and posts.
You may have a nutcase that keeps coming back, but you also knock people off for getting upset about things (and instead of talking to them and smoothing things over...its wham -bam- see-you man)
And what about sponsors bashing members, is there a double standard?
I mean, just because they are sponsors doesn't give them the right to bash members and get away with it while at the same time people being banned.
Isn't the whole point of Ovas, is to give everyone the same rules?equally? (not to just brush things away)
To me your not promoting the hobby at all.
Banning people for posting links about aquaria, treating everyone differently, closing half the site to people,etc
Will you ever open up all the forums again to everyone?
You would get so much more interest and memberships.

It just seems so closed.

shannon333

...was just wondering.
There two sides to every story.

...and not everyone gives full details on what really happens.

Fishnut

Read the rules when it comes to posting links.  It's quite clear.

There is a 3 step process to banning, so if someone is banned for an opinion, perhaps they expressed it in a way that got them banned.

PM me with the sponsor situation.  If you get specific her you will be violating the rules.

zenins

This sounds like some of the same problems that affect many on-line forums.

If you don't follow the terms of service that you agreed to when you signed up for forum membership,
including being respectful and making statements with tact, you will be banned.

Unfortunately, since being on an on-line forum means you are not in the same room or talking face to face,
many people post comments that they would probably never state in person.

Sometimes, previewing your post before others see it, re-reading it and waiting a few minutes and re-reading and editing it before posting it, does help with the tone of the post.  
Reading it out loud before posting helps to edit as well.

Again, unfortunately, some people do not take the time to compose their posts in a thoughtful and respectful manner, and then they wonder why they get banned.

I have seen this many times on my home forum, and with a hundred posts a day, you are bound to get some hot heads who then upset others.
I am not saying everone should be like sheep, but please state your position with respect and some supporting statements that encourage discussion, not an argument.

These are just my opinions from many years of being on forums ... remember in the end it is the fish that matter in this hobby :)
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

Greatwhite

One forum I used to frequent had a policy TO abuse people who asked dumb questions, it seems.  It took me a few days to remember that OVAS is in Ottawa, not Toronto where the other forum was based.  The "main people" were the WORST for bashing people for making mistakes rather than guiding them to fix the mistake and prevent them from making it again.

JetJumper

Quote from: zenins on February 12, 2013, 06:28:55 PM
If you don't follow the terms of service that you agreed to when you signed up for forum membership,
including being respectful and making statements with tact, you will be banned.

Unfortunately I am going to have to hold you to that :P  your Signature has a link to an outside site :(  Sorry!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Fishnut

Then I guess this means that we will have to vote to amend the rules to allow people to add links other aquarium clubs that are registered with CAOAC.  Until then, the link can stay.

Greatwhite

Seriously - what is the purpose of this thread?  You came on with a "legit question" that was actually posed QUITE rudely, and then said "if I get a rude response to this, then I will have my answer".  How can you not expect to get an response in the same tone as what you posted?

Now I'm not an exec, and things that I may say have no ties to the execs. I have no reason to stand up for the execs' decisions, nor do I have any reason to take any side in the discussion.  BUT I will ALWAYS take a stand against unnecessary attacks and BULLYING, which you are attempting to do right now.

Please, before you hit Post, read what you have typed... (Although somehow I think that all of these "misunderstandings" are 100% intentional)

edited per discussion with GreatWhite

Stussi613

I haz reef tanks.

Fishnut

markw

Quote from: Greatwhite on February 12, 2013, 09:40:37 PM
Seriously - what is the purpose of this thread?  You came on with a "legit question" that was actually posed QUITE rudely, and then said "if I get a rude response to this, then I will have my answer".  How can you not expect to get an response in the same tone as what you posted?

Now I'm not an exec, and things that I may say have no ties to the execs. I have no reason to stand up for the execs' decisions, nor do I have any reason to take any side in the discussion.  BUT I will ALWAYS take a stand against unnecessary attacks and BULLYING, which you are attempting to do right now.

Please, before you hit Post, read what you have typed... (Although somehow I think that all of these "misunderstandings" are 100% intentional)
Absolutely, I saw this as it was intended! An intentional deliberate malice attack, under the guise of a bunch of misinformed rumours. Still trying to remember where I saw the great team of Harvey's and Dairy Queen.

edited per discussion with GreatWhite

Greatwhite

Quote from: markw on February 13, 2013, 12:15:58 AM
Still trying to remember where I saw the great team of Harvey's and Dairy Queen.

I would never leave if there was such a place.

Stussi613

There's a Quiznos attached to a Dairy Queen in Kanata, pretty good place to have lunch.
I haz reef tanks.

zenins

Quote from: JetJumper on February 12, 2013, 07:49:44 PM
Unfortunately I am going to have to hold you to that :P  your Signature has a link to an outside site :(  Sorry!

Good point, I will amend my signature block until the terms of service have been amended.

I must have "skimmed" right over that when reading the rules ... heh

Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

Nerine

Quote from: JetJumper on February 12, 2013, 07:49:44 PM

zenins is part of our sister club....that shouldn't be an issue as it's not really "outside" !!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

shannon333

Omg, nice re editing!!

And Greatwhite, this was not an intentional attack. (quit with the paranoid delusions).You have basically attack anyone who doesn't fit your perception of what you want. Guess what, this is SUPPOSE to be a club, not some personal site forum.
This was for Ovas only, but like every other time you stick your nose into it and twist peoples words.
Oh yeah, you took part of a sentence and twisted it to suite your purpose.
And Greatwhite (along with Ovas people), I'm not surprised you attacked me for simple questions, I have seen you attack so many other people, get them banned or simply get them so fustrated and angry they don't come back.
And Ovas People (People who run Ovas) SHAME ON YOU FOR RUNNING SUCH A RICKETY CLUB!!  
I have no respect for people who use thier position to bully, run long in the mouth and berate people, AND BLOCK THEM/BAN THEM to make yourselves look better after re-editing stuff to suit your purpose.

oh yeah, did I forget to mention I copied and pasted the whole original conversation to mail and I'm sending it and the revised addition to CAOAC. You people can't bully and belittle and get away with it.
You can't Ban people because you have a difference of opinion and get away with it.
ITS A PUBLIC CLUB!! ITS NOT YOUR PERSONAL WEBSITE!
We'll see what CAOAC has to say about this!
I came back to defend myself!
I don't know what is going on in Ovas, nor do I want to. Leave me out of your issues.  
What I know, is this club was run better . Maybe those people should come back to run it again!
A few simple questions and your out to get me! (no paranoia here, just truth)
Am I coming back, definitely not!
Have you succeeded in booting another person out, Yep, thats for sure!
And your wondering why your memberships are down!!

shannon333

I'm sorry, I said I would refrain from posting again, but that was ridiculous and unfair!

charlie

Quote from: shannon333 on February 13, 2013, 08:38:47 AM
Omg, nice re editing!!

And Greatwhite, this was not an intentional attack. (quit with the paranoid delusions).You have basically attack anyone who doesn't fit your perception of what you want. Guess what, this is SUPPOSE to be a club, not some personal site forum.
This was for Ovas only, but like every other time you stick your nose into it and twist peoples words.
And Greatwhite (along with Ovas people), I'm not surprised you attacked me for simple questions, I have seen you attack so many other people, get them banned or simply get them so fustrated and angry they don't come back.
And Ovas People (People who run Ovas) SHAME ON YOU FOR RUNNING SUCH A RICKETY CLUB!!  
I have no respect for people who use thier position to bully, run long in the mouth and berate people, AND BLOCK THEM/BAN THEM to make yourselves look better after re-editing stuff to suit your purpose.

oh yeah, did I forget to mention I copied and pasted the whole original conversation to mail and I'm sending it and the revised addition to CAOAC. You people can't bully and belittle and get away with it.
You can't Ban people because you have a difference of opinion and get away with it.
ITS A PUBLIC CLUB!! ITS NOT YOUR PERSONAL WEBSITE!
We'll see what CAOAC has to say about this!
I came back to defend myself!
I don't know what is going on in Ovas, nor do I want to. Leave me out of your issues.  
What I know, is this club was run better . Maybe those people should come back to run it again!
A few simple questions and your out to get me! (no paranoia here, just truth)
Am I coming back, definitely not!
Have you succeeded in booting another person out, Yep, thats for sure!
And your wondering why your memberships are down!!
No offence but i honestly think you need to research what OVAS is - for starters  was created 59 yrs ago & launched a forum quite a few years after which in effect makes the club the horse & the forum the cart.
BTW OVAS is a public paid members club , the forum is a publication of the club to further enhance the education of the hobby , this is achevied by sharing & asking hobby related  discussion, i should add this a free effort by OVAS to all hobbyist, as a subscribed member( as with any paid membership of any club) they are perks available for those that are financial members of such as a discount at some LFS, free admission /heavily discounted entry fees to OVAS special events, an opportunity to offer hobby related & non hobby related items to a targeted audience among other things.
I would hope that from this you would understand that without paid members there would be no OVAS the CLUB without the club there would be NO OVAS forum.
OVAS does  still be believes in the freedom of choice as such the CLUB does not force anyone to do anything it`s all up to an individuals freedom of choice .

Kind Regards
Errol Choo
President
P.S this is my last contribution on this subject.
Please take me up on my offer to provide the facts, of your allegation of banning people for suggestions or opinions.
Hersay as far as i know has no foot to stand on in any arena.

charlie

Quote from: shannon333 on February 13, 2013, 08:44:51 AM
I'm sorry, I said I would refrain from posting again, but that was ridiculous and unfair!

Facts:
  last season OVAS had less than 100 paid member among several hundreds of non members
This season OVAS has 177 members among several hundreds non members
Kind Regards
Errol Choo
President.

Greatwhite

Quote from: shannon333 on February 13, 2013, 08:38:47 AM
Omg, nice re editing!!

My response was in regards to your attack against Fishnut that was since edited out as a "misunderstanding".  You probably didn't see the pre-edit version of my post, although the question about the purpose of the thread and constant attacks does still apply.

I do not have any problem with simple questions, I have a problem with HOW the simple questions were asked.  You can't post something rudely, and then follow up the post with "oh, that seemed harsh at the end.  I sure hope I don't get banned" and expect that to make the first post any less rude.  If you TRULY thought that you were crossing a line "near the end", there's an edit button that you could have hit and totally skipped the drama.

So now you reply, trying to discredit me (because I replied instead of Fishnut here) - by saying that I attack "so many other people" and that I get people banned and/or so angry & frustrated that they leave?  Wow, that's news to me, person I've never spoken to or even heard of before...

Anyways...  Have fun twisting my words and tossing the crazy accusations with no info to back them up.  I do find it entertaining...

gw

robt18

I don't understand how people who have paid nothing and don't run a club think they're entitled to it's resources.

shannon333

I'm not replying to this anymore.
Not because I have lack of info, or anything.
You completely missed my point, took it out of character, twisted it, and this can go on forever or until you ban me.
I was trying to get ovas to open up thier site to everyone again.
You have it so that you are not letting anyone in, banning everyone with the same proxy ip.
(it accur to you that alot of different people use the same proxy)

Greatwhite, did it ever accur to you I wasn't attacking fishnut.
That I appologized to her through mail if she thought I was attacking her yesterday.
You need to step back and stop trying to fuel a fued, that you have this post turned into.
Or is that what you want people to think? That I'm a bad person
I've been on Ovas for over 10 years, and I've seen you go at people everytime I decide to get back into aquaria and visit Ovas. You are quite the person, aren't you.
Another question for ovas...
It takes two people (or more) to fight. If greatwhite seems to be fighting with people she thinks doesn't fit into a public group, they get banned, why isn't she banned for the same thing?

ok I'm done with this.
This isn't a public club, its a personal site as far as I'm concerned

Stussi613

I edited GreatWhite's post after removing your post, which I pm'd you about and only after I asked him if he was okay with it being pruned to remove the quote from you and he part of his quote that related to it. I don't have to do that but I have allot of respect for people that contribute as much as he does to the club.

I tire of this, and its pretty easy to see that some people are trying to push buttons for their own agendas. I'm locking this thread exactly as it is with no further editing.  
I haz reef tanks.