New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Public Aquarium?

Started by Christianloug, March 24, 2019, 02:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christianloug

I was looking at old Ovas posts, and saw the mention of how Ottawa almost had a public Aquarium. I think this is a great Idea. Now I know that it was cancelled over 15 years ago, but what if we could convince the city to go for it again? I think this is something we should look into again and see if it could be made possible. It would really help the club and also would help improve business for aquarium stores and would definitely make it easier for people in the business, and I'm sure would overall make Ottawa a better city. I think this is something we should try and convince the city about. Maybe I sound ridiculous, but I think it's a great idea.

Jody

Hi Christianloug,

I agree, an aquarium would be a great idea for Ottawa.
I think one of the ideas for the construction at Lebreton Flats had plans for an aquarium in it, but they lost the bid for it. Who knows what will come of that at this point.
  I think the city would be very happy to have an aquarium, but it is a matter of getting someone interested in actually forking out the money to set it up, likely a private company like Ripley's.

Jody

Christianloug

Is there any way we could get the city to fund it? If we have enough people vouching and give good reason, maybe it would be considered? I may be young, but this looks like something I could try and fight for, if I had the help of others.

nerdRVT

Ripley's is considering a facility in Ottawa, but it depends on how the bidding for Lebreton Flats goes. The group that didn't win the bid did have Ripley's on board, but I've not heard since about what the status is now. I'll try and sneak some info from my colleagues there. :)

Christianloug

Quote from: Christianloug on March 25, 2019, 09:19:10 AM
Is there any way we could get the city to fund it? If we have enough people vouching and give good reason, maybe it would be considered? I may be young, but this looks like something I could try and fight for, if I had the help of others.
That would be nice, let me know what you find