New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Growing Blyxa without substrate

Started by charlie, March 16, 2015, 05:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Do you guys think it`s possible to grow healthy Bylxa Japonica & have it propagate without any substrate?
Really want to hear your views on this

wolfiewill

Ok, what do you mean - without substrate? Like a epiphyte on a log? Or floating? I'm confused..... again.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

wolfiewill

You mean 'coarse gravel'? That sounds like a substrate.... sort of. But no, I've never done that. I got mine from you and did what you told me to do with it. And it's now one of my favourite plants. And, thanks for that, Errol.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

No like stuck in between rocks from a rock pile like you would with Java fern, think it`s possible?

zolta

I think it may.  The root systems on this stuff is huge.  I have it growing between small rocks with a little large coarse gravel between. the roots go everywhere. I occasionally trim the roots to keep them out of view.  the stuff is a weed
65 gal tall planted