New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Caridina multidentata or Amano Shrimp at Big Al's

Started by zolta, March 12, 2015, 09:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zolta

The west end Big Als has a large amount of Amano Shrimp in stock.  they are a tad pricey and kind of small but they seem to have a hundred or so

65 gal tall planted

lucius

How much?  PM if you wish.  East end didn't have any yesterday.

charlie

Quote from: lucius on March 12, 2015, 09:52:45 PM
How much?  PM if you wish.  East end didn't have any yesterday.
Maybe the East enders don`t have a taste for shrimp....

George2

I was at the east end Big Al's a couple weeks ago and they did not have any Amano Shrimp in stock. They had been out of them for a long time because I was in there a month previously and they did not have any either. When I asked them about it, they did not know when they would get them again.

charlie

Quote from: George2 on March 13, 2015, 09:28:32 AM
I was at the east end Big Al's a couple weeks ago and they did not have any Amano Shrimp in stock. They had been out of them for a long time because I was in there a month previously and they did not have any either. When I asked them about it, they did not know when they would get them again.
Yes , I was there last week & was told the same thing.
What is surprising is that the" Fish room honcho for both stores" would have a high demand product in one store & not the other, interesting.

wolfiewill

Quote from: charlie on March 13, 2015, 09:38:49 AM
What is surprising is that the" Fish room honcho for both stores" would have a high demand product in one store & not the other, interesting.

Well, I may have something to do with that.... I ordered 40 from them (Ed, actually) and hassled them to death (sort of). I had other livestock ordered in bulk, and had to purchase them from somewhere else. I've finally got mine and have all the livestock I wanted for my 300. Now on to the plants!
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

zolta

The east end store had 4 large shrimp last Thursday and I purchased all four, they told me that the west end store had a lot more.  I knew that Greg had ordered a pile form them, I wondered if the lot the west end store had was a result of that.  The only thing with the west end shrimp is that they are rather small.  They are in my large tank and have all disappeared.  The 4 are in my small tank and are ruling the roost, even the Corydoras are taking cover!
65 gal tall planted

charlie

The point is if you are the one guy ordering for both stores and you are placing an order for a high demand item, does it not make sense to order adequate amounts to stock both stores? regardless of who wanted X amount
There were a tone of them in Kanata & nada in the Innis store.

zolta

Quote from: charlie on March 19, 2015, 09:05:47 AM
The point is if you are the one guy ordering for both stores and you are placing an order for a high demand item, does it not make sense to order adequate amounts to stock both stores? regardless of who wanted X amount
There were a tone of them in Kanata & nada in the Innis store.

yup
65 gal tall planted

Mike L

Not trying to bash a sponsor but at least they stock some of what you want at one of the stores. For us cichlid lovers they are the only game in town really.
There are well over 1200 cichlids to be had but they always  stock the same 10-15 fish over and over. The logic explained to me is that there are not a lot of cichlid people in Ottawa yet they are selling cichlids regularly so why not change it up a bit.  Maybe they will read this thread and reply.
Mike

wolfiewill

Quote from: Mike L on March 19, 2015, 11:35:58 AM
 Not trying to bash a sponsor but at least they stock some of what you want at one of the stores. For us cichlid lovers they are the only game in town really.
There are well over 1200 cichlids to be had but they always  stock the same 10-15 fish over and over. The logic explained to me is that there are not a lot of cichlid people in Ottawa yet they are selling cichlids regularly so why not change it up a bit.

Try ordering what you want through Ed at Big Al's, or Dave at Got Fish. If they don't know what you want....
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Mike L

I have tried with Big Al's in the past. They have such a mark up it's not viable. Fish that sell for $50 as W/C asking $100.Since Ed is there the prices on fish have been more in line with the norm but he has  told me he can't get Tanganyikans unless they are the common ones and even then it is hit and miss. Dave has been very helpful but unfortunately his supplier relationships don't stock said fish.
Any serious cichlid keeper who is on this site will tell you that availability in Ottawa is poor and has been for years. We have to resort to mail order or a drive to Montreal or Toronto. While that can be fun it costs. I still prefer to see what I'm buying if at all possible given that I spending upwards of $25-50 for some fish.