New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

new lights?

Started by Pyrrolin, March 19, 2015, 04:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyrrolin

I had a pair of 48 inch t5ho lights and one of them died a while back and I plan to get a new light shortly.  The old ones are basically hydroponic lights and I can pick up another for about $70, might even get two so I have 3 lights.

Or would I be better off spending more and getting a dual t5ho "aquarium" light fixture?

Money is very tight so I don't like to spend more than I need to.

charlie

That`s a tough call, since only you would know how much spending is comfortable.
I noticed you mentioned 70.00 for a T5 HO strip, is that the strip alone or strip & reflector?

ray

Hi I have numerous HO T5 bulbs,reflectors etc that I'm selling

Pyrrolin

about 70 for strip and reflector, light is about 35 and so is the reflector.

wolfiewill

Quote from: Pyrrolin on March 19, 2015, 06:29:29 PM
about 70 for strip and reflector, light is about 35 and so is the reflector.

Are these the Sunblaster hydroponic HO T5 lights? I've used many and get them from Hydroculture Emporium for about $50. On the other hand I've stopped buying them as they do not provide the amount of light a Fluval Glo set of HO T5s do. These are more expensive though.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

lucius

Check out the OVAS classifieds.  There is an ad for an Aquatic Life dual fixture.  You can get that and just swap out the bulbs.

exv152

The sunblaster brand is definitely the way to go for cheap T5HOs and the only retailers to carry them locally are brite light or Ritchie off innes for like $35+$17, light + reflector.

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on March 20, 2015, 07:07:54 AM
The sunblaster brand is definitely the way to go for cheap T5HOs and the only retailers to carry them locally are brite light or Ritchie off innes for like $35+$17, light + reflector.

With you exv.
I used those strips with PVC guttering as reflectors on my old Oceanic 75 gallon & grew anything

Pyrrolin

Now that is a great deal

wolfiewill

You can get them with a reflector from Hydroculture Emporium on Carling Avenue near Lincoln Fields for about 50.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

Quote from: charlie on March 20, 2015, 03:27:41 PM
With you exv.
I used those strips with PVC guttering as reflectors on my old Oceanic 75 gallon & grew anything
This is the tank in 2008 with 4 of those strips & white Vinyl guttering from Home Depot as reflectors.

exv152

Quote from: charlie on March 20, 2015, 09:29:26 PM
This is the tank in 2008 with 4 of those strips & white Vinyl guttering from Home Depot as reflectors.

Hey Charlie, Do you remember what combination of bulbs you used in this setup?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: exv152 on March 20, 2015, 10:54:55 PM
Hey Charlie, Do you remember what combination of bulbs you used in this setup?

Interested in knowing too!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

can`t say for sure, but I think they were  Giesemann  2X Aquaflora? & 2X Midday

Pyrrolin

So Friday I call Ritchies and they had a bunch come in that day or the day before so Saturday I drove an hour and a half to pick up two and someone had already come in and bought them all.

But at least they are ordering more in and sending 2 to a closer store for me

44.99 for the whole kit, ballast, bulb and reflector, can't beat that price.  I hope they are the bulbs I want, if not, only 10 bucks each.