New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Clown Loaches

Started by sanny, February 28, 2016, 02:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanny

Just picked up two Clown Loaches. I was wondering since other sites say they could tolerate PH of 8.0 of that's true. Others say 7.5 but I know for a fact they're very hardy. They where in a 20 gallon for a couple years and they're about 6". Just added them to my 120 gallon. But my question is, I have the caribea sea cichlid sand mix which keeps a constant PH of 8.0 and was worried if this will effect them down the road. Worst comes to worst I'll have to switch my substrate to normal sand... Please let me know what you think.

ajm1961

Do you check the ph or assume the substrate alone is keeping it at 8.0? Do you add buffer to your water?
My cichlid tanks are typically in a fairly neutral 7.5 - I'm sure at that level the loaches would be fine - not sure about 8.0.
Just my view.
Nice fish for sure. Enjoy!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

zenins

Do you know the pH of the water they came from ?

Clown loaches can do well in higher pH water, but you have to get them there gradually over 6-8 weeks,
otherwise the pH shock may affect adversely :(

Mine are in Kitchener tap water, which is 8.2-8.4 pH

If I get them from a fellow fish keeper in town, they are usually good to go into my tanks,
however if they are from out of town and I don't know the pH of that water,
I acclimatize them to my water over 6-8 weeks as mentioned above ;)
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

sanny

I got them from Kanata which I'm assuming has the same water parameters. They where in with driftwood which I'm very sure altered the PH but I wanted to take the chance because I heard of them being exremely hardy and that they'd adapt quit well. So far so good and I'm very pleased. Thanks guys.