New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Urchin got me!!

Started by NjOyRiD, March 24, 2011, 09:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NjOyRiD

I was replacing some fallen corals and got caught by the sea urchin, long spine to be exact
Im bleeding
anything I have to do or I'll be fine?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

NjOyRiD

thank you buddy, you saved my life!! lol
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

HappyGuppy

Njoyrid,
I really like you and your posts, so I hope that you'll live ;)  I'd like to share something with you that I, my family now, and many others consider to be incredibly valuable knowledge, but unfortunately uncommon knowledge (not a secret).  Of course the spine of the urchin is the most urgent issue, dealing with that, and especially any poisons that may be associated with it.  The next stage of *potential* concern you might have is bacterial infection.  This may or may not be an issue in your particular case, but sometimes it is better to treat it preemptively "just in case".

The "secret" is simply natures own natural anti-biotic (and anti-viral & anti-fungal) herb... drum roll please... garlic.  In recent decades it has fallen from from regular useage, not because of being ineffective, but hey, everyone got suckered into the pharmaceutical-must-be-better trap... then forgot what used to actually work.  Remember, it is known as "Russian Penicillin", as there is a way to take it in therapeutic amounts to be as effective as antibiotics (hey, scientists are now turning back to garlic to deal with the antibiotic resistant "Super Bugs"), and in wars it was used in field dressings as an antibiotic on wounds.

So here are two ways this can be useful to you:

1)  Externally -  If you get a cut, in your tank (by your urchin) or other places not very sanitary, you could reach for the polysporin, or crush some garlic and smear a bit on the area of the wound.  Yeah, it stings, but it does subside after 10 mins or so.  Good to remember for those unexpected emergencies. 

2) Internally -- Eating it *RAW* (cooked kills the good stuff) is like taking an antibiotic.  It takes some getting used to, very spicy, but crushed on sandwiches (under brie cheese, yum), or other foods is good.  The secret is to crush and let it sit for 15 minutes.  1 to 2 cloves per day is great for "daily maintenance" to keep you from succumbing to illnesses.  2 to 4 a couple times a day are good for when you need to boost immune system for something, like your urchin sting & possible infections, or on the onsets of a cold.  Apparently 10 to 15 cloves per day, for two weeks, is a natural round of antibiotics.

I hope that this information could be of some help to you, and anyone reading this too.  Google "garlic antibiotic" for more info about this.  Also, remember that it is great for the heart, but no so fabulous for your social life.

I'll leave you with a little non-sequitur.  Fish love eating garlic.  We OVAS people are fishy people.  Therefor you should love to eat garlic.

NOTE:  THIS IS NOT TO BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH, AND DECIDE RESPONSIBLY WHAT IS BEST FOR YOUR HEALTH.

robt18

You'll be fine Phil!

I've been hit by these a few times at work, nothing bad has ever come of it.

We did get some deadly flower urchins in by accident once though....

NjOyRiD

Alright thank you guys!!
370g System