New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New to Ottawa area...

Started by ciaus, December 08, 2009, 10:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciaus

Hi all, I recently moved to Rockland, having been living offshore for the last few years, no place too exotic, Bermuda and New Hampshire in the USA.  ( I never technically left north America really but that is another whole topic of discussion.)

I have started a discus tank, 55G, with a PH right around 6.1 and a temp hanging in between 82f and 86 F.  So far I have populated the tank with 5 discus all purchased locally at the two BA stores.  I have been out of touch with the world of pet fish since I moved away from Canada about 8 years ago...I still have my 73G Oceanic in storage in Calgary, along with everything else to get it running...I swear I will get it to Otown soon.

I suspect that there must be other discus keepers out there since the LFS all seem to have a few specimens, but there doesn't appear to be an OVAS section for a discussion for this most elegant of fresh water fish.  Is there a reason for there to not be a Discus section in the forums?  Before anyone shouts that Discus are Cichlids, yes I know, but still there isn't a dedicated thread for them...They get mentioned in passing, but no more than that.

I have read quite a number of threads, some are amusing certainly and some are of great interest.  The thread about the origin of ones nickname is a good one...and so without hijacking that long thread, my nick is a dyslexic/lazy error on my part in wanting to use the character name Caius Merlyn Brittannicus from the novel by Jack Whyte, A Brood of Eagles.  I was too lazy to pick up the book to validate teh spelling and so I inadvertently transposed the "i" and the "a".  Spelled, as I do it raises eyebrows on occassion since it now looks like alphabet soup letters from the United states Government......am cross posting this paragraph there...forgive me in advance.  What is that old addage:  It is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.   ;D

I saw a thread about a road trip to Cleveland.  Great city, been there a few times for work, if people know more than a week or two in advance that show of that type is taking place, and they are considering a road trip, post it up early, I'd gladly participate.  The group ordering of supplies is also an awesome undertaking pooling the resources of individuals to obtain top quality products in quantities usuable by individuals....Do that more often!

Hope I havent bored everyone with too much detail......
8)
/rant off.

Ciaus.

fischkopp

Hi and welcome to Ottawa and OVAS!

Good to see yet another discus lover in the club. Recently, discus seems to gain more attention again. There have been various threads about them in the Freshwater board; I like the idea of a dedicated board for them if this continues. The trip to Cleveland was fun! And guess what: I came home with a dozen little Stendker's to grow out.  :D
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Vincenzo.

Nerine

Welcome to Ovas! Hope to see you at the next meeting in January!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

mkowals2

Welcome to OVAS and welcome back to Canada :P

-Mike

holachicka

Welcome to OVAS - now all you have to do is switch to SW :)

Fishnut

Welcome!  You just missed our fabulous discus speaker!  There are a few discus people within the club.  Maybe they're not as active on the on-line forum as much as others.  I used to be one of them...years ago, but I simply don't have time for Discus anymore.  I agree, they're an amazing fish to keep.  Maybe some day I'll be able to keep them again.