New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Volunteers Needed THIS Saturday

Started by Fishnut, May 26, 2011, 12:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Quote from: dan2x38 on May 26, 2011, 03:05:33 PM
Where does the creek run into? Is it just goldfish that need to be caught? Do you know how wide the creek is? Could a net be used? This is the reason for my questions.

OP/exec would you please address the above?

**********************************************************************************************************

I understand your concerns HookUp and support what you say. I also whole heartily support this endeavor. Maybe this event could get put off for one week for more review? I see what you are saying even through the late post time and alcohol fog... LOL your just suggesting ad-hoc events not addressed and/or voted at  exec. meetings have the same consideration of being accepted as OVAS events if OVAS members are hosting/suggesting them. Am I on target with the interpretation?  I do think the press release should get exec. approval. It is a major exposure potential and no one would want OVAS' image to be portrait incorrectly or misquoted the press can distort things quite easily.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

drboeing

Just want to point out the heat is supposed to increase pretty dramatically this weekend, will there be enough water to keep them healthy for another week?

dan2x38

Quote from: drboeing on May 27, 2011, 09:41:33 AM
Just want to point out the heat is supposed to increase pretty dramatically this weekend, will there be enough water to keep them healthy for another week?

Suppose to still be lots of rain - sad but true... where is the good weather?  8)

If the capture is successful where will all these goldies go? They should be QT that is for sure.
Voltaire:

Shawn84

On a side note the 3 goldfish I managed to catch had just past away :(
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

dan2x38

Quote from: Shawn84 on May 27, 2011, 03:21:25 PM
On a side note the 3 goldfish I managed to catch had just past away :(

For sure they should be QTed and receive a long acclamation before hitting a regular (cycled) tank setup. Goldfish are not as easy to care for as often thought. It is a shame how they get treated so often in bowls, flushing, filthy water, etc.

Sorry to hear you lost them Shawn84 good for you for trying to safe them!
Voltaire:

Fishnut

There are still some fish there but there's MUCH more water now. Not able to see many of the schooling fish. The water is cloudy.

Fishnut

OK folks.  Thanks for your patience.  This is what's happening...

As of this moment, this is not an OVAS event.  It is something that I am personally co-ordinating and as a result, I don't feel it's my place to contact the media...which really sucks because the public really needs to know that releasing non-native fish into native waters is bad for the fish and the environment. 

So since this is something I am doing, anyone who is interested in volunteering MUST send me an email telling me who you are and who is coming with you.  I will give you directions to the property in my response.

EVERYONE who participates will be REQUIRED to sign a waiver, releasing OVAS, the exec and the property owner from any liability for injuries, damages to your personal property, etc. while on this rescue mission.  Technically, this is not an OVAS event but since I'm using the OVAS system to co-ordinate this, I don't want to risk any misconceptions or misunderstandings.  If you don't want to sign it, please don't go because It'll save me the trouble of asking you to stay clear.

Cheers
Sylvia

mseguin

Quote2. OVAS is a non-profit organization with the following objectives:

a) to further the study of all forms of aquatic life
b) to promote interest, exchange ideas, and distribute information concerning the hobby
c) to encourage breeding and displaying of aquatic life
d) to work toward the conservation of endangered species.

Just thought I'd point out, from our constitution, why this would be considered an exemplary OVAS event.

Fishnut

Well it's not an OVAS event...and I got no emails, so I'm off to catch some fish by myself. >:(

Saltcreep

Could someone from the exec who was involved in this decision, please post the rationale for deciding this should not be a sanctioned OVAS event?

All we can see, or read, from out here, is that a relatively new forum member picked up on a very bad situation that might be of interest to the club and brought it to the attention of the forum. Recognizing this as fitting the OVAS mandate like a glove, a club member picked up the ball and ran with it. The proposal seemed to be gaining steam, a plan was hatched, and some volunteers were jumping on board. Then, it seems, everything ran into a great tangle of bureaucratic red-tape, which resulted in one sole person out there doing what should be done. No army of volunteers, no OVAS presence, and no publicity.

Hookup

I think the exec was consistent in their actions.  Which is good as the alternate would be that some people can form events and others cannot. 

I'm sure at a future date this kind of "it's not an event" policy will be discussed, and maybe changed.

drboeing

OMGoodness this is silly!

One person found some fish, and alerted the appropriate forum.  FYI, there were 3 volunteers there to help out (I dont include myself as I was only able to observe) All I saw in this thread were a number of people with opinions but no offers to help, and it was complicated by people who apparently had no plan to assist and created the red tape.

There will likely be more situations/opportunities like this, do they really have to be debated into failure?

Moderators, if you feel Im being too harsh, please feel free to delete this post.

Fishnut

Yes, thank-you to the people who very unexpectedly showed up.  I arrived and there was already someone in the creek with a net and a couple of people who remained spectators...aka, fish spotters.  I guess the location wasn't a secret!!

There was no luck though.  The water had risen yet again due to all the rain.  There were far less fish than when we saw it just the other day and so many crevices in the rocks that the fish definitely had the advantage.  I can't believe we didn't catch a single fish!!  Oh well, we tried.

I don't want anyone to feel that this is the fault of the exec in any way shape or form.  This was a time sensitive matter and I jumped the gun.  In order to have something sanctioned as an OVAS event, it needs to be approved by a majority of the exec.  Don't forget that these exec positions are filled by volunteers who have jobs and kids and lives.  Not everyone lives on their computers like I do.  So, not all the exec had an opportunity to voice their opinions and there weren't enough responses by Friday night for me to call this an OVAS event.  Lesson learned on my part.

Now, no more talk about this please!  It's OVER!!  If you have any specific concerns, please PM me.

Saltcreep

Thanks for the wrap-up; answered my questions.