New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS Annual BBQ Pig Roast!

Started by Fishnut, May 16, 2012, 07:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

Where: Andrew Haydon Park - The Bandshell

When: June 24th 2012 rain or shine.  Festivities begin at 11:00am and continue until the pig is ready to eat...whenever that may be!  Please bring your own chair if you have one to bring.

Cost:  If you're a paid OVAS member, it free!  If you're not a paid member, there is a $5 entrance fee per person.  It's also an optional potluck, so the more people who volunteer to bring something, the better it will be!

Schedule:

9:30 - 10:00am: Country Roasters will be setting up and starting to cook the pig.

11:00 - 12:30: Bunky the Clown will be painting faces and making balloon animals
                               http://www.caricaturesandclowns.com/

1:00 - Whenever the pig is ready:  Urban Static will take the stage for a few sets and we will be giving out the awards for fish breeders and volunteers between the sets.

We'll have door prizes, kids' loot bags and LOADS of fishy talk so please join us!

I hope to see everyone there!

Fishnut

I'll be bringing a tray of brownies!

Nerine

Address for the park: 3169 Carling Avenue (at Holly Acres), Ottawa, Ontario
also - FREE PARKING!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Feivel

Count me in ... 2 adults and a 4 year old girl.

What should I bring?

Renewing my membership at the bbq.

Cheers

2075turner

My family and I will be there.  2 adults and 2 kiddos.  I will bring a tray of veggies/dip

Nerine

In case you wanted to check out Country Roasters: www.countryroasters.com

They have done a fantastic job each year we've had them!
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Nerine

Errr is anyone else coming??? :P Usually this thread is a mile long with people RSVP'ing!! the event is only a couple weeks away...

ajm1961

Sylvie, Chloe (8) and I will attend!
We'll bring... something - chips and pretzels? Or maybe some coleslaw?

Anyone else coming? Let us know!
The roast pig is fabulous!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

touchofsky

My husband and I will be attending.  Not sure yet what we will bring, though  :)
Valerie

robt18

I'll be there! I'll bring some kind of munchy food with me and possibly another person.

bizfromqc

Yep, I'll be there. Sorry about the late reply  ;)
No clue what to bring though, thoughts?

Fishnut

Shawn84

I'll b there maybe +2. I'll bring a fruit plate.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

bitterman

I will be there +3  (Wife, 7 year old boy and 4 year old girl)

Hopefully there will be kids for them to play with.

FYI: Anyone that has not been there before if you have comping chairs its a good idea to bring them to ensure you have a seat for the day!

Bruce

silverhorns

morrie & myrna will be there so add 2 adults

Nerine

Salads are good, side dishes, a jar of pickles would be appreciated too :D hehe anything really that you would enjoy at a bbq!! with pulled pork sandwiches :)

I will bring cookies or some other non perishable as I will be in town super early that morning and will have nowhere to keep things cool! :(

Also - there will be some of us at the park at 9amish....if anyone wants to join us and the kiddies for fun :)

charlie

I will be there
not sure what i will bring as yet.
Errol

Fishnut

If someone has a costco membership, we could always use a nice big bag of buns to go with the pork!

I also added an update on the activities.  Keep checking back as things are getting finalized this week.

Feivel

Ill grab 2-3 different small block of cheese.
Again +2  , girlfriend and 4 year old daughter (well 4 in july but she looks and is as smart as a 6 year old she is so adorable :-)

Where are the updates?

Thanks cheers

bizfromqc

Anyone bringing Macaroni Salad yet? If not, I'll bring some.

Maybe we should update the original post with a list of what people are bringing and/or what is missing so people have an idea what to bring? Just a thought...

Eric

FishBuddy

Quote from: Fishnut on June 12, 2012, 09:43:17 PM
If someone has a costco membership, we could always use a nice big bag of buns to go with the pork!

I also added an update on the activities.  Keep checking back as things are getting finalized this week.

I'll be there as well.  Perhaps will be bringing a 10 year old.  I have a Costco membership so I could pick up some buns for the roast pork.  How many do we need?  Just a ballpark figure would be fine.

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

Herstead

Hi, so my wife and I are just getting into the hobby and figure that coming out to the roast is a good way to introduce ourselves to the club.

We just bought a second hand 250 gallon tank and will probably start to fill it with salt water some time next year. The floor needs to be reinforced first.

We will be bringing apple crisp/cobbler. We assume there are going to be plastic plates and forks available to eat it with.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

- Jonathan and Stephanie Herstead
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

sylros

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately we won't be able to make it but here is the amalgamated list of food items as my contribution:

apple crisp/cobbler-----> Herstead
buns-------------------->FishBuddy
Macaroni Salad--------->BizFromQC
blocks of cheese-------> Feivel
cookies----------------->Nerine
Fruit platter------------->Shawn84
munchy food----------->Robt18
chips/pretzels---------->ajm1961
veggie/dip platter------>2075turner
browny tray------------>fishnut
potato salad------------>touchofsky
coleslaw---------------->limmer
spice chicken wings----->limed
pre-cut watermelon---->jetstream
garden or ceasar salad-->bitterman

plates, cutlery---------->OVAS

So, there this is the complete list of those who indicated what they will bring. We do not have drinks! water at the very least.... and I don't know about cuttlery/plates/napkins...does OVAS supply it?

Wish we could be there!
Sylvie

Feivel

Thanks for the round up :-)

Always glad to see some new faces ;-)

Nerine

Plates, cutlery, cups are coming via me! I have a stack of OVAS goods in my basement!! hehe

Nerine

UPDATE: We do NOT have much seating area at the bandshell...please bring your own chair!!! Limited picnic tables available

charlie

QuoteThe Annual OVAS BBQ
Where:
Andrew Haydon Park – The Bandshell
3169 Carling Avenue (at Holly Acres), Ottawa, Ontario

When:
June 24th 2012 rain or shine.  Festivities begin at 11:00am and the pig is due to be served starting at 3pm.  You never know though...it may be ready a bit early, so please join us for some fun before 3.

Cost:
If you're a paid OVAS member, it free!  If you're not a paid member, there is a $5 entrance fee per person.  It's also an optional potluck, so the more people who volunteer to bring something, the better it will be!
Please see for forum post for full details!

touchofsky

Looking at the list that Sylvie provided, I see that there is no potato salad, so I will make a potato salad  :)
Valerie

bitterman

We will bring some type of Salad either garden or Cesar Salad like last year.

Bruce

charlie

I heard some rumours that there might be a live band or 2, also some certificates are going to be presented, any truth to these rumours? that would make for a fun day.

charlie

Quote from: charlie on June 19, 2012, 05:24:50 PM
I heard some rumours that there might be a live band or 2, also some certificates are going to be presented, any truth to these rumours? that would make for a fun day.
Will membership for the new season be sold @ the BBQ?

Feivel

It should be. I bought mine last year at the bbq and advised that I would be renewing my membership at the bbq.

also a 4year old needing some friends to play with :-)

Nerine

Shawn84

Membership will be available for sale
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

limmer

We will bring a coleslaw.
It will be my wife Carol and I.
I will also pick up Richard who usually buses to meetings.
So 3 people altogether.

limed

I will cook up some spice chicken wings.
There might be 3 of us or just me.

Ed

Fishnut

I'll update the details of the BBQ but we've added some fun features!

Urban Static, a local band will be playing a few sets for us starting at 1pm until the pig is ready to eat.  Perhaps you'll recognize one of the band members!!

We'll also be joined by Bunky the Clown for some Face Painting and Balloon Animals from 11am - 12:30pm!  After everyone has their face painted and their balloon animal, Bunky is also willing to draw some caricatures for anyone who wants them.  They'll be $5 each person!

Don't forget that this is a pot luck, so if you intend to bring something please indicate what you're bringing on this thread.

charlie

Quote from: Fishnut on May 16, 2012, 07:13:27 PM

When: June 24th 2012 rain or shine.  Festivities begin at 11:00am and continue until the pig is ready to eat...whenever that may be!  Please bring your own chair if you have one to bring.

Cost:  If you're a paid OVAS member, it free!  If you're not a paid member, there is a $5 entrance fee per person.  It's also an optional potluck, so the more people who volunteer to bring something, the better it will be!

Schedule:

9:30 - 10:00am: Country Roasters will be setting up and starting to cook the pig.

11:00 - 12:30: Bunky the Clown will be painting faces and making balloon animals
                               http://www.caricaturesandclowns.com/

1:00 - Whenever the pig is ready:  Urban Static will take the stage for a few sets and we will be giving out the awards for fish breeders and volunteers between the sets.

We'll have door prizes, kids' loot bags and LOADS of fishy talk so please join us!

I hope to see everyone there!

Wow, will be a great day for sure
a limited amount of OVAS Polo Shirts will also be available for sale

jetstream

We'll bring some pre-cut water melon if time allowed. No guarantee it'll be cold!  ;)

sylros

Quote from: charlie on June 18, 2012, 07:17:16 PM

Here is the latest amalgamated list of potluck items (as of Thursday evening):

Deserts
apple crisp/cobbler-----> Herstead
browny tray------------>fishnut
cookies----------------->Nerine
Fruit platter------------->Shawn84
Bread
buns-------------------->FishBuddy
Salads
Macaroni Salad--------->BizFromQC (can't make it)
potato salad------------>touchofsky
coleslaw---------------->limmer
garden or ceasar salad-->bitterman
Appetizers
blocks of cheese-------> Feivel
spice chicken wings----->limed
Snacks
munchy food----------->Robt18
chips/pretzels---------->ajm1961
veggie/dip platter------>2075turner
pre-cut watermelon---->jetstream

Other
plates, cutlery---------->OVAS

Nerine

OVAS is also supplying cups! oops! hehe almost forgot about that! :D

White Lightning

I am going to try and make it this year.... I f I do, I will bring a napa cabbage salad. (It`s really good!)

Feivel

So where exactly is the bbq? Ive been walking the whole site for over an hour.....

Malyon18

I am pretty sure the BBQ is tomorrow Seb lol
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

ajm1961

Quote from: Fishnut on May 16, 2012, 07:13:27 PM
The first post in this thread states the location.

Here is the google reference:
http://goo.gl/maps/NAkW

Hope to see you there, it should be a blast!

Feivel

Lol that would explain a lot then ..... I could have sworn it was the 23rd..... Dunce.....

ajm1961

OMG! I thought you were "walking" the WEB site looking for the location! I didn't think you were actually there on the wrong day!
LOL!! :P

Feivel

Yup im here,lol..... Kinda screws up my plans seeing as its st jean weekend. (Quebecs canada day) I could have swoen it said the 23 this morning when I checked tu make sure..... Theres a decent water park here and a nice walking path with ponds and waterfalls. eithrr way spending some quality time with my dauughter nonetheless..... She loves the watrr and is havong a blast.

silverhorns

Can we supply a jar of pickles or additional rolls?

Silverhorns

charlie

Lets all arrive early & enjoy the weather while it last, there is a very good chance that the Roasting of the Pig will be completed ahead of schedule, see you all tomorrow with cash in hand to buy memberships & OVAS shirts.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0512

Monte

I didn't think I was going to be able to make it but after rearranging my schedule I will be there.
I will bring a large cooler full of bottled water and soft drinks on ice.
40 Gallon Breeder

wandmangels

buns are actually being supplied by us....as usuall..as welll as some condiments

fischkopp

Anybody need some plants? Can bring them tomorrow, or it's going to be compost. Green stuff like Limnophilia aromatica, blyxa japonica and aubertii, ludwegia something, ludwegia inclinata var cuba. Shoot me a PM. Free with purchase of new membership!

Will bring some beer so we can have some fun!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

silverhorns

I see the macaroni salad is crossed out...I can bring that

silverhorns

charlie

Get off the forum & come out meet your fellow hobbyist & talk hobby one on one
But do it early before the showers arrive @# 5.00 PM
http://weather.ca.msn.com/hourly.aspx?wealocations=wc:CAXX0343

bitterman

The Caesar salad is ready to put together when the pig is ready.

We got some cheese and crackers for lunch time as I know our kids will be hungry. Also a bag of pain chips for lunch time snack.

Is Ovas bringing drinks like other years?

Bruce

Monte

Quote from: bitterman on June 24, 2012, 09:16:43 AM
The Caesar salad is ready to put together when the pig is.

We got some cheese and crackers for lunch time as I know our kids will be hungry. Also a bag of pain chips for lunch time snack.

Is Ovas bringing drinks like other years?

Bruce

I was just told that Ovas is supplying drinks so I won't be bringing any.
Let me know if there is anything I could bring.Everything seems to be covered.
40 Gallon Breeder

charlie

Quote from: Monte on June 24, 2012, 09:35:25 AM
I was just told that Ovas is supplying drinks so I won't be bringing any.
Let me know if there is anything I could bring.Everything seems to be covered.
any type of salad is good

Monte

Thanks Errol. I will bring a mystery salad.
40 Gallon Breeder

Feivel

Well .... Off to the bbq ...... Again lmao

Fishnut

Bunky the clown is here and the pig is roasting!  Come join us!! Andrew Haydon Park, off Carling. Turn left as soon as you enter the park for the closest parking. We're in the blue and white covered bandshell!

silverhorns

Feivel

Had a blast at the bbq. Food was great. Id also like to thank everybody who participated in the seting up for their time. My family and I enjoyed ourselve greatly and loved bunky :-)

Country roaster did a great job.

Special thanks to our special tallent. Urban static. Great job guys keep up the good work. Sounded great.

charlie

WOW what a fun day, Big Thank you to all that made it out & all that made this a huge success
Sincere gratitude to "Urban Static" thank you thank you, you guys are awesome & last but not least "County Roasters lived up to their high standards & satisfied all present thank you.
Even the showers could not dampen the party, great time by all, especially all the little ones who enjoyed the clown food & music.
Thanks to each & everyone.

charlie

charlie

Nerine

GREAT food GREAT music! Virgil & I had a great time!! :) Thank you everyone for coming out and having fun!! Have photos will post later :D  Love the ones with the OVAS'ers looking into the water :D

charlie

Brine

touchofsky

The BBQ was great!  Thanks everyone for your hard work organizing.  Great food & entertainment  :)

Monte

We had a great time at the BBQ.

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard organizing and setting everything up.
A special thanks to Urban Static and Country Roasters.  :P

Oh and let's not forget Bunky for her great face painting.   :)
40 Gallon Breeder

fischkopp

Some more impression from today.

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

rockgarden

Fabulous pictures. Glad everyone had a great time and stayed safe during the storm.

I had actually forgotten about the event but Brian reminded me about the pig when I was getting some work done on my bike at Bushtakah. Was on Richmond when the rain really came down and hoped you all had safe shelter.

I arrived at Andrew Haydn about 2 PM and found the Greek Seniors picnic. ;D

I looked down from the hill and saw the bandstand group but didn't get close enough to the bandstand to realize that the bandstand group was the OVAS group. Forgot about live music being part of OVAS event or would have come down the hill and joined in. Instead I went wandering around the park looking for the right spot  :'(

BTW. If anyone is interested, I finished posting the last of a couple of hundred photos to my website this morning re my recent trip to New York City.  Didn't visit any aquariums though!  8) http://www.megapixeltravel.com/2012/06/im-back/

Ron

daworldisblack

Wow looks like a fun time! Too bad I couldn't make it but great to see it went well!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

[quote

Hi, so my wife and I are just getting into the hobby and figure that coming out to the roast is a good way to introduce ourselves to the club.

We just bought a second hand 250 gallon tank and will probably start to fill it with salt water some time next year. The floor needs to be reinforced first.

We will be bringing apple crisp/cobbler. We assume there are going to be plastic plates and forks available to eat it with.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

- Jonathan and Stephanie Herstead

][/quote]
It was a pleasure meeting you guys, thanks for coming out & supporting the club with your membership , looking forward to seeing you @ our monthly meetings.
Welcome to OVAS
Errol

washefuzzy

Most awesome pig roast ever!  :)