New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

25 gallon starfire build

Started by charlie, December 11, 2011, 03:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Well as mentioned i`m in the final phase of consolidating my tanks, this will result in the 20 gallon long & 15 gallon shrimp tank finding home in a 25 gallon tank, so who says 20+15 does not equal 25  ;)
Change of plans midstream- keeping the 15 gallon shrimp but replaced the 20 long with the 25 gallon starfire  :P
Thanks to Wolfiewill for picking up the tank from Aquainspiration

touchofsky

charlie

The bits & pieces  :)
Tank-24X15.7X15.7 Starfire
Light- will be a Hagen Glo 2x24 watt T5 HO fixture, formely used on the 2o gallon long
Substrate - Fluval stratum formely used in the 20 gallon long since Feb 2011, will be rinsed & transfered.
Livestock - Pygmy cories 6-7, Axlerod's Rasbora blue about 20  from 20 gallon long, juvie calico Bushy nose ( picked up @ OCA)Oto Cats & CRS from 15 gallon.
Plants- Peacock moss, Anubias nana from 15 gallon, Diandra , Ludwigia Arcuata,Glossostigma elatinoides ,Riccia fluitans ,Blyxa Japonica ,cyperus helferi& lilaeopsis.
Nutrients- Pressurised CO2 injected & PPS dosing
http://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro
Hardscape -Redmoor wood with moss attached & Dragon stone
Pics of the lay out mock up

JetJumper

Does the styrofoam stay?  Or is that just so you don't scratch the tank?

Looking good so far!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

charlie

Quote from: JetJumper on December 11, 2011, 06:37:18 PM
Does the styrofoam stay?  Or is that just so you don't scratch the tank?

Looking good so far!
Thanks , the styro is just in the event drop the rocks when moving it around.

charlie

Quote from: charlie on December 11, 2011, 06:06:37 PM
The bits & pieces  :)
Tank-24X16X20 Starfire
Light- will be a Hagen Glo 2x24 watt T5 HO fixture, formely used on the 2o gallon long
Substrate - Fluval stratum formely used in the 20 gallon long since Feb 2011, will be rinsed & transfered.
Livestock - Pygmy cories 6-7, Axel rod blue rasboras about 20  from 20 gallon long, juvie calico Bushy nose ( picked up @ OCA)Oto Cats & CRS from 15 gallon.
Plants- Peacock moss, Anubias nana from 15 gallon, Diandra , Ludwigia Arcuata,Glossostigma elatinoides ,Riccia fluitans ,Blyxa Japonica ,cyperus helferi& lilaeopsis.
Nutrients- Pressurised CO2 injected & PPS dosing
http://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro
Hardscape -Redmoor wood with moss attached & Dragon stone
Forgot to add
Filtration - tried the eheim proII 2026, but was too much flow, so i went with the Eheim eco comfort 2236 & still had to throttle it back a tad.
Heating- Hydor ETH 200 watt in line heater
Future install will be a Reffkeeper Lite 1 from Ray`s Aquatic supplies

exv152

Ironic, I bought the same tank about a month ago, a fire 60x40x40cm, and have been pondering many options. But I want to get my hands on some aquasoil so the tank's just been sitting there. I also plan on putting a 2236 on the tank, so I'm really interested in seeing how yours turns out. What kind of stand are you going with?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on December 11, 2011, 09:06:23 PM
Ironic, I bought the same tank about a month ago, a fire 65x45x45cm, and have been pondering many options. But I want to get my hands on some aquasoil so the tank's just been sitting there. I also plan on putting a 2236 on the tank, so I'm really interested in seeing how yours turns out. What kind of stand are you going with?
The stand is a Hagen pre fab stand bought used from an OVAS club member, i had to lay a piece of 1/2 inch plywood to extend the depth so it would accommodate the foot print of the tank.

The aquascpaing / planting is all complete, filled & fish transferred over, will wait a bit for the transfer of some CRS, i Will post a pic or 2 a bit later, any comments and or critique welcomed.

jshchrtn

After reading all your build threads, will be cool seeing how you consolidate those two tanks!

charlie

here are some quick snap shots of the tank in it`s for now finished state

TLe041

Charlie,

Where did you get the Axelrod blue rasboras? Is it a local store?
Tony

exv152

Hey Charlie, looks pretty good for a newly setup tank, I'm sure it's going to grow-in nicely. I've been also contemplating making my own amano style stand, and going with a pendant light for mine. What kind of CO2 regulator/cylinder did you go with? I can see it barely peering out from behind in one of the photos.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: TLe041 on December 12, 2011, 02:33:01 PM
Charlie,

Where did you get the Axelrod blue rasboras? Is it a local store?
First batch i got from Nature Pet Point Calire & more recently some from La Niche
Regards

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on December 12, 2011, 02:42:52 PM
Hey Charlie, looks pretty good for a newly setup tank, I'm sure it's going to grow-in nicely. I've been also contemplating making my own amano style stand, and going with a pendant light for mine. What kind of CO2 regulator/cylinder did you go with? I can see it barely peering out from behind in one of the photos.
Thanks, yes should not be too long before everything takes off & grow in.
The Co2 rig is a 5 lb Aluminum bottle -Cornelius regulator with Clippard solenoid & Swagelok needle valve, the co2 is diffused with a Fluval ceramic diffuser.

charlie

charlie

QuoteLight- will be a Hagen Glo 2x24 watt T5 HO fixture,

Plants- Peacock moss, Anubias nana , Diandra , Ludwigia Brevipes,Glossostigma elatinoides ,Riccia fluitans ,Blyxa Japonica ,cyperus helferi& lilaeopsis.
[/s]After 2 weeks & some some minor tweaks was done this weekend, namely i added a single strip of a sunbalster T5 HO 24 watt with a reflector for better light spread ( now 3 x 24watt)
and some plants has being removed - Diandra ,Blyxa Japonica & lilaeopsis
added some Rotala Macandra that was grown emersed so it`s going to take a bit to settle in & start growing in ( transition) & Rotala pussila.
Changed bulbs out  with new Gieseman midday & UVL Aquasun.

The moss is taking hold & the Creeping jenny is doing well infact i trimmed it already
I also added some Crystal Red Shrimp & Amano shrimp.
I will update  pictures later.
Regards

touchofsky

Looking forward to pictures.  How is it working out with the PPS dosing?

charlie

Quote from: touchofsky on January 01, 2012, 11:14:50 AM
Looking forward to pictures.  How is it working out with the PPS dosing?
I find it is very lean dosing as such i have bumped the phosphate up a bit & will slowly continue doing so until i get my desired level of 2 PPM outside of that it is working great for that tank.
Regards

charlie

so here goes some quick snap shots of the tank, nothing fancy.
I also changed the background to black vinyl, the Blue was not cutting it since it was washing out the colour of the rasboras, let me tell you that was a job since the blue background was regular aquarium background applied with Vaseline  before the tank was put on the stand, removing the Vaseline to accept the Black vinyl in cramped quarters was a test of my new found Patience  ;D
Regards