New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

10 gln planted shrimp tank

Started by charlie, April 19, 2012, 12:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peekay

That's bad luck.  :(  Sorry to hear Errol.

daworldisblack

Argh! No! Sorry to hear Errol! That really does suck - they were so awesome! At least there is the micromatic build to look forward too eh :)
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Thanks guys, in all my years in this hobby this is my first large die off to CO2, i had one massive die off with some newly acquired Cardinals that was not CO2 related, but the will to get the yellow shrimp still lives  ;).
As Rah mentioned new regulators are in the works.
Errol

charlie

Update - the tank is now re worked & shrimpless for now but a hitchhiker female guppy , 3 pygmy cories & a juvie bushynose reside in the tank.
The following was done, thanks to the suggestions offered -
Background changed
Re scaped the hardscape
Swapped the glosso with the HC intended for the 79 gallon
Added the tennelus mid ground
Brought back the Blyxa for background cover
In the interim of building a new micromatic regulator rig, i`m using a Milwaukee that had a blown gauge that was given to me a while back.
Changed the CO2 Diffuser.
Now to get the plants to hurry up & grow  :P
Pic will follow when the lights come on.
Errol

bizfromqc

Can't wait to see the new pics.

Speaking of tennelus, I put mine in my Amazon tank and let me tell you, the Corys and BN Plecos loooooove them. Sometimes a little too much love as they uprooted a couple err... its better now that they're developing a root system but you'd think it was like catnip to them LOL

exv152

Errol, have you ever grown micro swords (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis)? I saw some of this stuff for sale locally and it seems to be an interesting foreground plant, a bit smaller but similar to tenellus.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on May 03, 2012, 12:23:51 PM
Errol, have you ever grown micro swords (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis)? I saw some of this stuff for sale locally and it seems to be an interesting foreground plant, a bit smaller but similar to tenellus.
Hi Eric , yes i have some growing emersed, did try it on on the 25 & then this tank, but opted for the tenellus & Blyxa due to the golden hue these plants can produce in the right conditions.
Errol

charlie

Quote from: charlie on May 03, 2012, 09:54:29 AM
Update - the tank is now re worked & shrimpless for now but a hitchhiker female guppy , 3 pygmy cories & a juvie bushynose reside in the tank.
The following was done, thanks to the suggestions offered -
Background changed
Re scaped the hardscape
Swapped the glosso with the HC intended for the 79 gallon
Added the tennelus mid ground
Brought back the Blyxa for background cover
In the interim of building a new micromatic regulator rig, i`m using a Milwaukee that had a blown gauge that was given to me a while back.
Changed the CO2 Diffuser.
Now to get the plants to hurry up & grow  :P
Pic will follow when the lights come on.
Errol
Feed back welcomed

pm

Wow, that sure is a clean tank.  It looks like a rectangle of water with no glass  :)

Question, do you always run your CO2 to be near yellow, or is it just the pics (assuming a 4dkh drop checker solution)?

charlie

Quote from: pm on May 03, 2012, 01:40:31 PM
Wow, that sure is a clean tank.  It looks like a rectangle of water with no glass  :)

Question, do you always run your CO2 to be near yellow, or is it just the pics (assuming a 4dkh drop checker solution)?
It is a 4 dkh solution, i slowly ramp up to yellow/green & use that as my reference point, thereafter i adjust by observation.
Errol

fischkopp

Quote from: charlie on May 03, 2012, 01:08:43 PM
Feed back welcomed

I don't like the hard-scape. Those three small rocks on the left, move them to the right half of the tank and group them closer together. You can have some taller plants behind it for impact. Keep the left front half open for the HC.

You managed to pack a lot of equipment into such a little tank as well. :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on May 03, 2012, 02:50:19 PM
I don't like the hard-scape. Those three small rocks on the left, move them to the right half of the tank and group them closer together. You can have some taller plants behind it for impact. Keep the left front half open for the HC.

You managed to pack a lot of equipment into such a little tank as well. :)

I don`t see taller plants for this tank giving it`s small foot print & height that woul require constant trimming as most stem plants in the conditions that this tank have, i also don`t wat to over power the rocks.
The hardscape is stolen from a German guy  ;), but i`ll wait until the plants fill in & go from there.
Thanks for the feed back.
Errol

fischkopp

Quote from: charlie on May 03, 2012, 03:04:20 PM
I don`t see taller plants for this tank giving it`s small foot print & height that woul require constant trimming as most stem plants in the conditions that this tank have, i also don`t wat to over power the rocks.

How about Ammania sp. bonsai? It grows really slow, yet tall. And it's a bit red as well!  ;D
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

exv152

I think it looks better than the previous layout. In keeping with iwagumi principles, I would remove one stone so that you have an odd number, and make sure the stones are all different sizes and they are showing their best sides forward (like the three in the back). I like the focal point you've created.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Yeap much better! Although the hardscape could do a lil revision as the others mentioned. Too many of them with similar sizes. Also how is the substrate doing in terms of leaching ? Manageable w/o an intense water change regime?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Thanks Guys
Actually they are 7 stones & although they appear similar in size they are not  but must say thevariancee in size is not dramatic so maybe that is why.
I have not observed any ammonia spike perhaps it`s due to the plants & the chockofulll bacteria media that i borrowed from my other canisters, i have not monitored anything else & only 1 water change due to the re arranging.
Thanks for your input , always appreciated.
Errol

exv152

Question for you Errol. Where did you get the hanging kit for your pendant tek light?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on May 05, 2012, 01:34:34 PM
Question for you Errol. Where did you get the hanging kit for your pendant tek light?

I got it from a  friend in Toronto.
Errol

charlie

Long time since i updated this build.
This tank is the most difficult tank i`ve had in years, everytime i get it going something goes wrong this, adds another + to the saying the smaller the tank the harder it is.
My most recent expereince was algae issues, just can`t find the balance, but still working on it, will update with pictures.
Regards

charlie

Here is a picture of the tank as it  looks now. The rocks still have some BBA on them but it`s far less than before, the HC has been started over with a few stems of Ludwigia Palutis as an accent plant.
The Fluval  CO 2 diffuser will soon be relaced by an in line atomizer, i `m hoping i have it licked now.
I have also gone away from a dedicated shrimp & added some Chili Rasboras & CPD.
It`s not always smooth riding , but i`m up to the challenge & determined to win  ;)
Regards