New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Nano 55 Build

Started by Funkmotor, October 08, 2012, 04:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funkmotor

Thanks, brian, it's far from done but I'm liking it.

And, Erroll, I do have pics of how I did it but I'm thinking I might reserve those until I know if it actually *works* or not.  Never tried it before...and you can see a couple of the braces sticking out at the front.

76brian

Just taking a guess here that you did something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZDexLMZFrU#t=713s

Funkmotor

Quote from: 76brian on November 21, 2012, 03:36:50 PM
Just taking a guess here that you did something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZDexLMZFrU#t=713s

And I thought I was being so original!

I got the black plastic board at Rona and just cut it into pieces...made sense to me at the time.

charlie

Quote from: 76brian on November 21, 2012, 03:36:50 PM
I have seen that before , was curious to see how Daryl did his.
Thanks Brian

fischkopp

That HC carpet will look nice! You probably want to get some mid-sized plants in front of the Ludwigias. It's a bit tricky with the tank dimensions.

I would be careful with the 16h light; duration doesn't compensate for intensity, especially in taller tanks. I don't know what light you are using, but you might just open the door for algae early here.

I would also not add any fertilizer at this point, nice the substrate is new and the plants neither established nor plenty. Crank the CO2 and watch things grow, and once you observe deficiencies you can start thinking about ferts. I would guess that this is a few weeks down the road.

Happy gardening!  :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Funkmotor

Yes, I have high hopes for the HC.  I took my time getting it in there so I'm hoping it's able to grow out and grab on.  Only time will tell.

I'm adding a second light either tonight or tomorrow, so that will bring me up to 128W.  Hanging both fixtures from the one support is being a bit of a bugbear, but I think I have it figured out.

It's the best I'm going to do until I get some proper lighting.

exv152

This is why folks who've had success with HC swear by the dry-start method. DS gives the tiny HC roots a chance to establish without the need for ferts or CO2, ideally in a nutrient-rich substrate. Once the HC has established you fill the tank with water and crank the CO2. It's almost a guaranteed method given the tricky part to this particular plant is its initial establishment.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Funkmotor

Quote from: exv152 on November 22, 2012, 09:41:36 AM
Once the HC has established you fill the tank with water and crank the CO2. It's almost a guaranteed method given the tricky part to this particular plant is its initial establishment.

Oops...maybe I filled it up too soon.  It's so hard to control yourself.

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on November 21, 2012, 11:11:33 PM
That HC carpet will look nice! You probably want to get some mid-sized plants in front of the Ludwigias. It's a bit tricky with the tank dimensions.

I would be careful with the 16h light; duration doesn't compensate for intensity, especially in taller tanks. I don't know what light you are using, but you might just open the door for algae early here.

I would also not add any fertilizer at this point, nice the substrate is new and the plants neither established nor plenty. Crank the CO2 and watch things grow, and once you observe deficiencies you can start thinking about ferts. I would guess that this is a few weeks down the road.

Happy gardening!  :)
The Fish Cop  ;) has given you good advice.
Keep up the good work
Errol

Funkmotor

Quote from: charlie on November 22, 2012, 09:58:22 AM
The Fish Cop  ;) has given you good advice.
Keep up the good work
Errol

Indeed, it is good advice.  I've got the second light on there now and I've dialed it back to 11 hours + CO2.

exv152

Quote from: Funkmotor on November 22, 2012, 09:53:59 AM
Oops...maybe I filled it up too soon.  It's so hard to control yourself.

Not really, keep your fingers crossed. Just something to consider if this doesn't workout.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on November 22, 2012, 10:14:47 AM
Not really, keep your fingers crossed. Just something to consider if this doesn't workout.
Another thing to try is to drop the water line ( if no livestock is present) way down- just enough to cover the HC & weigh the stem plants down on it`s side for a few weeks, this will let more light intensity in since there is less defraction due to water, just a brain wave i got  ;)
Errol

76brian

Quote from: Funkmotor on November 21, 2012, 03:42:56 PMI got the black plastic board at Rona and just cut it into pieces...made sense to me at the time.

Makes perfect sense... I wish I'd done it

Funkmotor

So I get home from work today...and the plants are pearling!  Streams of bubbles coming off the Cabomba and Ludwigia and even the HC's got a pearl on it here and there, so I'm thinking that my ghetto FrankenlightTM might actually do the trick until I get my permanent lights in place:

There's even some new growth on the HC that I can see.  Some pieces look to be doing really well, and other pieces not so well.  Whether it's how I planted them or luck of the draw, I don't know, but I hope it evens out over time.

Funkmotor

Got five CRS and 5 Otocinclus last night and they're doing quite well today.  The CRS are very active, picking at everything and seemingly all over the place even though there are only 5 of them.

The HC is also starting to grow out...hard to tell, but it is.

Also stuck an MP10 in there just for kicks, and it seems to be working very well.  Lots of slow, steady water movement (on low speed, of course) and helps with CO2 dispersion a bit.  (Ordered myself an inline diffuser today.)

And the obligatory FTS.  Lots of temporary plants, which is a departure from plan - but I kind of like it.

charlie

Looking good Daryl, can`t wait to see this tank when it all comes together.
Errol

daworldisblack

I like the wild forest surrounded by a sea of HC idea too! Maybe abandon your iwagumi notion for an Island one? :p
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Stussi613

I also used the plastic divider method when my tank was built, but more of a retaining wall style. I got the idea from Rebecca and then built on it.

You can see it on the left in this shot a week before teardown. When the sand was pushed against it you couldn't see it and it kept the sand from mixing with the black fluorite in the back.

I haz reef tanks.

exv152

Interesting, you have a glass lily pipe on the filter output, yet the green eheim intake on the other side. How did that happen?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Funkmotor

Quote from: exv152 on November 30, 2012, 07:15:23 PM
Interesting, you have a glass lily pipe on the filter output, yet the green eheim intake on the other side. How did that happen?

Um...err...hrmm...well...  The thing is, the inflow pipe for a 2217 is 17mm, and the return is 13mm.  So I got a 13mm lily pipe and that's cool, but the only way to get the 17mm inflow is to buy a set.  And as there's other stuff to be buying, I thought I could live with the green pipe for a while.

And now I've realized how ugly it is and it shall be fixed posthaste!  ;D

Correction:  The inflow on this thing is 16mm, or at least uses 16/22 hose.