New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Heron!!!!!!!!! Help!

Started by beertech, June 18, 2007, 08:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beertech

This morning as the kids were getting ready for school, one of them happenerd to look outside at the pond.After a few seconds of shock, he came running over to me and told me there was a heron beside the pond! I ran to the back door and saw this HUGE heron about 4 feet tall. :o As soon as it saw me, it took off.I'm not sure if it got any fish, I'll have to try to do a head count later when they come out of hiding. So, now I need some advice on how to keep HUGE, freaky, Jurrassic park birds away from my pond. Any ideas?

dan2x38

someone told me at Moonies Bay beach they have clear heavy line like fishing line but thicker strung over head a foot or so apart to prevent geese from landing and crapping all over the beach... not sure if it true but sounds logical...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

rocketboy

we have had that problem for the past 6 years, we've lost over 150 goldfish and koi to that bird >:( . numerous holes in our pool (fish were in the pool for the winter and in spring we would lower the water to get the fish out and the heron would come and peck at the fish). my best advise would be to build a frame ,cover it with screen and put it over the pond and only take it off when you are there. we have tried  fishing wire all across and around the pond and big thick ropes around the parameter,and those inflatable balls with eyes on it that are suppose to scare off birds(worked great for all other birds but not the blue heron it was actually pecking at it).  fishing wire and ropes seemed to have done the trick for last year but this year i guess its gotten smarter and figure out a way to get to the fish.they will not go into an area that doesn't have an easy take off route for them, so if you have a some what enclosed space it would be to scared to to venture in it. hope this helps you, and that you do something about soon cause it WILL be back and will keep coming for years now that it knows theres fish.

washefuzzy

Maybe you need a watch dog!

PaleoFishGirl

Just don't stock fish in the pond?

washefuzzy

PaleoFishGirl

It's the obvious solution, that's all I'm saying ;)

normc

You can get a motion activated sprinkler that will shoot water at the bird when it approaches the pond. They have them at Lee Valley tools page 26 of their June garden tools catalogue. $89.

Sue

Maybe more underwater plants, rockwork and a water Lilly will help give the fish cover.

Dogs do help if you happen to have one.

rocketboy

Quote from: normc on June 18, 2007, 12:26:52 PM
You can get a motion activated sprinkler that will shoot water at the bird when it approaches the pond. They have them at Lee Valley tools page 26 of their June garden tools catalogue. $89.

thats a great idea cant believe i haven't thought of that!!

plants and rocks for hiding spots have slowed down the killing of our fish, but because the fish never stay in hiding for long periods of time, they get eaten as soon as they come out

RedFish

Quote from: normc on June 18, 2007, 12:26:52 PM

I was talking to the people at the Wildlife Centre, they have a pond, and they have one of those activated sprinklers.   They said the herons have learned to work around it.    They designed the pond so that the fish had ledges to hide under, and that plus the sprinker seems to be working.

beertech

Thanks everyone,I like the sounds of the sprinkler,I'll look into that because I think it might help with other animals like racoons etc..My father in-law also said that surrounding the pond with a string barrier worked for him, and I do already have built in hiding places for the fish, but I'm sure the heron can out-wait them.I'll let you all know how it goes, thanks, Gord.

fender316

get some minnows from the river and make the heron your new family pet!!!

kennyman

lol use the floating plants and plenty of hiding places for the fish. Enough should survive to keep the population. I think you are very lucky to have such a wonderfull creature visiting your yard. Take some pictures of it for us. Herons rule.   :P

Blue Heron > Goldfish in my book  8)

beertech

Whew! I did a head count and all fish and frogs are accounted for!  :)  I strung some thin wire around the pond just below knee high because I was told Herons can't step over objects.It doesn't look too bad.As for a dog, I have a Springer Spaniel, but she is too much of a princess to stay out alone and guard the yard.She loves to chase small birds and squirrels, but I think she would run and hide from this monster.My son actually got a picture of it at around 10:00 am when he got home from his exam.I hope that the wire in combination with the hiding places under rocks and floating plants( I do have a couple of lillies etc) will be enough to deter it next time.Oh,and Mark, don't worry, if I can figure out how to catch it, I'll be sure to bring it over to you for adoption! ;) P.F.G,I think not stocking fish would be an extreme last resort, I guess my salt water experience has made me either very patient or very stubborn.I will not be defeated by a bird!Although my wife agrees with you, so I guess the bird would win after all  :-[  And kennyman, I actually agree with you that they are spectacular birds, thanks again to everyone for all the advice!
Gord.

[attachment deleted by admin]

succinctfish

What a beautiful bird!  I'm sure your neighbours (those without ponds) appreciate the visitor from the wild.  It certainly makes a great accent for the garage.  :)  Good luck with your fish, but I'm with kennyman on this one.  Herons rule.

kennyman

now if he goes away you will miss him and have to buy one of those plastic ones at wallmart for $20  :D

limmer

A little late, but I heard if you put a fake heron out the other one won't come.  Don't know if it will work. May be worth a try.

dan2x38

Quote from: limmer on June 28, 2007, 12:39:52 PM
A little late, but I heard if you put a fake heron out the other one won't come.  Don't know if it will work. May be worth a try.

I saw a picture where they did that with owls to scare away pigeons... the picture showed a pigeon sitting on the decoys head... LOL
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Shrimpy

At my cousin-in-laws' trout farm there were methods to keep predators like that away.  ;) Unfortunately they can't be used in the city.  ::)