New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Happy and healthy

Started by Anja, March 31, 2009, 04:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anja

We came back from vacation to find the pond ice-free and all three comets alive and in shining health.  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

Brine

You think they'd notice if I built a pond in the front garden?

KLKelly

WOOHOOO - they look great!

washefuzzy

Yeah! Isn't it great to see the snow gone and the fish free.  :)

Anja

Quote from: Brine on March 31, 2009, 04:36:56 PM
You think they'd notice if I built a pond in the front garden?

*g* They might. But seriously, You could just ask. They might let you.
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

littlelil

wow, your pond looks so clean and the water is so crystal clear. Are those plants under the fish??

I just emptied mine out. I hadn't taken care of it last year and it was all sludge and rotting leaves and smelled of manure. I'm sure animals used it as a toilet all summer.

Anja

Quote from: littlelil on April 02, 2009, 05:50:45 PM
Are those plants under the fish??

Only, if you count algae as plants. The pond is always full of them in the spring. They start to grow as soon as the snow melts and light hits the surface, even when there's still ice. Last year we removed them early and were hit by green water instead, so this year we're planning on leaving at least some of them in until the water plants come back to cover a good part of the surface.
Weather permitting, we'll start up the filter system and waterfall this weekend, our three little guys being out and about most of the day now.

Fishnut

The fish look great! 

My fish are in the garage and are much more awake than I expected!  I moved them into a bucket, then moved their pond into the garage so I think it will soon be time to put the pond back outside.  I need to get the filter going again though.

washefuzzy

I glad to here both sets of fish made it through the long Ottawa winter.  :)

Steve_2

Awesome. Very nice fish. I was not so lucky this year, my pump died in January. Half the ice is gone now, and half the fish died. I'm actually very surprised that half the fish survived!

Anja

Quote from: Steve_2 on April 04, 2009, 08:13:38 PM
Awesome. Very nice fish. I was not so lucky this year, my pump died in January. Half the ice is gone now, and half the fish died. I'm actually very surprised that half the fish survived!

Awww darn. I'm really sorry to hear that. But at least they didn't all die. Hope your other half has a glorious summer.

washefuzzy

That is sad Steve. Glad some of them made it through the winter hope some is good to them.  :)

Steve_2

Well, the remaining half looks pretty good. Swimming around and all. I can't wait until all the ice is melted and the water temperature goes up so I can feed them.  8)

beowulf

Very nice.  I had two in a rubermaind container in the garage and they are healthy and getting more active.  Fed them for the first time least weekend.