New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help New Pond and it's muddy

Started by asmackay, May 18, 2009, 08:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asmackay

Hi just built my first pond about 600G with EPDM liner.  During the digging it was 100% clay.  Some got on the liner from my boots when putting the liner in.  I filled the pond with water and day 2 it's still very muddy and filter is running with no real improvement.

I read that clay can suspend in the water.  What is the best way to clear this up.  I have seen gypsum suggested, and pond products that clump organics together.

Any suggestions which is the best way to clear this up.

Thanks
220G African planted
75G High Tech planted inprogress
550G Pond with Waterfall
3000G Pond in progress
Hobbies, video's http://www.youtube.com/user/newday3000

White Lightning

I had the same problem when I built my pond last year. I found that filtering in combination with a product (I use Simply Clear) and frequent water changes should help with clearing up your water.

Ponds can be a pain if you don't do things right. I have found that having one pond is a bigger chore than running five fish tanks. But nonetheless. I still enjoy having one.

You should post some pics when it's ready.

Cbellehumeur

yeah you can used the clump stuff but it will eventually clear if you give it time. if you have fish in there already they'll con't to stir up the water so try to keep the fish out until it clears. clay will take quite a few days to settle.
Also keep in mine if you have a submerible filter when you go to clean it and bring it out of the water the clay will re-suspend

asmackay

I decided the best solution was was to empty the pond out and pull out the liner on the deck hand wash all the clay off. Then fold it up clean side in and carefully put back the liner.  The issue was the amount of clay suspend and it may never have cleared.

Once I put it all together again and ensured no clay got on the liner when I put it all back the water is crystal clear and has stayed that way.
220G African planted
75G High Tech planted inprogress
550G Pond with Waterfall
3000G Pond in progress
Hobbies, video's http://www.youtube.com/user/newday3000