New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Swim Bladder Disease - Oranda

Started by WavePusher, April 28, 2021, 12:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WavePusher

My oranda has swim bladder disease, so I'm trying 3 days of salt baths, but it's not constipation, so I am told my efforts will be in vain. Are there any medications available in Canada to treat this, or will I need to bring it to a vet? If I do bring it to a vet, what would the costs be? I have some clove oil just in case I need to euthanize the fish. It's been having problems swimming and spends most of its days floating on its side at the surface. It has pooped after feeding peas, so I know it's not just constipation.

Add me on discord WavePusher#2168 if you have it! I'll be checking back here though.
Cheers,
-Joel

HayleYoyo

So fresh water fish actually can't get  Constipated . That's just bad internet information.

This website is written by a vet, and covers goldfish fairly well.

https://cafishvet.com/

There is a vet in Barrie I use who does phone consults, here is his information:

Dr. Paul Manesis
Allandale Veterinary Hospital
66 Caplan Ave
Barrie, Ontario L4N 9J2
P: 705-733-1422

There is another guy on Montreal road, but I never used him.

Calico3

Hi Wavepusher :  Sorry to hear of your Oranda's problem .  Goldfish claim to be easy but they are really more difficult to keep. I would suggest that you lower the aquarium water level as much as you can to make it easier for your fish .  Also feeding gel food and small meals helps somewhat. Good luck

WavePusher