New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Koi - Goldfish - Shubunkins

Started by Swami, July 30, 2008, 09:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami

Hi, I have a natural pond and last summer i introduced goldfish and shebunkins.  I did this to make sure of the winter survival, and it worked all did well.  This summer i added Koi, but was told that the Goldie's and shebunkins should go because the Goldie's will breed with the Koi.  Does anyone else no about this or is it just hear say? 

Larry

The Pond Boy

For sure you will get cross-breed, but is that a problem? For me not, because I love all nice fish in my pond.
If you think you don't like it, then you must catch all goldfish and shebunkins.
Thanks,

Greg Veldhuizen
The Pond Boy
www.thepondboy.com

Swami

Thanks Pondboy,,,,,, i was afraid thats what u would say.... will not be easy... the goldies and shebunkins already breed this spring.... but i'm gonna give it my best shot.
Swami

Vizerdrix

If they don't have any companions of the same species, they will interbreed.  The offspring are not very atractive, and usually don't have the fancy colours.

It's up to you, but I personally dislike hybrids of any sort.

SouthR

I have kept a pond on the east coast and now here. The koi, goldfish and shubunkins will interbreed but I never had a problem with that, some of the fish are ok looking and some I have had  just are beautiful looking. If you only want to keep the fish to look at and enjoy which is what I do it is not a problem, if you want to sell some down the road then I would separte them but for me it is all ok.

Richard

Cbellehumeur

my goldfish bred with my koi and now i have beauitful big goldfish with fancy tails